eight

ROWAN

Even though I thought Jeremiah was pretty full a couple of days ago when he fell asleep on my bed, he did in fact remember asking me for a ride home and also lying in my bed. That was pretty much it. He didn't bring up the compliments, but a day later while he was teaching me to swim, he asked why I didn't wear my glasses more often.

My chest tightened together, not expecting him to mention my glasses nor ask me why I don't wear them more often. I could not bring myself to tell him the actual reason. So I lied.

My first lie to Jeremiah. It did not feel good, but I knew at that moment it was too late to really tell him the truth. I'm not sure if I want to tell him the truth. I don't want him to see me as a weak person who lets others walk over her, but really, that's exactly who I was. I let Jace walk right over me any second he got.

I ended up telling him that my glasses hurt my ears if I wore them for long periods of time.

He suggested I try to find a pair that doesn't hurt my ears. I about melted in the pool if that is even humanly possible. 

It is now Saturday, which means Kaden's party is tonight.

Instead of sneaking out this time, I asked both Laurel and Susannah if I could go to Kaden's party. Belly wanted to come along as well so I hoped Laurel wouldn't be too strict.

"I don't know girls." She answered while popping some popcorn on the stove. Laurel and Susannah were both in their PJs.

"But mom, Steven always gets to go to parties!" Belly complained. I wanted to stop her from yelling at Laurel. She was not helping our case at all.

"Come on Laurel, let the two girls go." Susannah interjected from the living room.

Before Laurel could fight back, Jeremiah waltzed down into the kitchen. He was wearing khaki shorts and a very nice striped button-down shirt. This boy always dresses so well, it makes me wonder what his closet looks like.

"Steven and I will be there, I promise we will get them home safe." Jeremiah didn't look over at me, but he did look over at Belly. I didn't realize he was going to this party too nor Steven. They never mentioned it while we were at lunch a week ago.

Laurel sighed, turning around so she could look both Belly and me in the eyes. "Fine, but I want you two home by midnight. Not a second later."

I was about to say thank you, but Belly of course decided to push the time. "12:30?"

"If you're not home by 12:30, this is the last party you will be going to this summer. Also, no drinking." Laurel looked back and forth between us sternly and then looked over at Jeremiah.

"Promise." He said.

"Thank you Laurel." I smiled and she solemnly smiled back.

"Alright, go before I change my mind."

The three of us headed outside, Steven following not too far behind us. I did not realize the party was within walking distance until I looked it up on Google Maps about ten minutes before we asked Laurel and Susannah.

The four of us made small talk as we walked, the night was still warm, but I knew by the time we left it will be much more chilly.

We arrived at Kaden's house or should I say mansion. His place is way bigger than the Fisher's and the Fisher's house is already huge in my mind. A few people were out in the front yard talking, but as my eyes gazed at the open windows, the inside looked packed.

My stomach churned, and I felt a bit nervous. I've never been to a big party before. The parties back home are usually 20-30 people and we all hang out and play drinking games. Nothing wild, unlike what appears to be in front of me.