Chapter 16

Morning came quickly, and Flamepaw soon found sunlight streaming through the forest. She slowly opened her eyes, watching as the others were also slowly waking. Tigerstripe and Rain were curled together, which Flamepaw found odd. She would never have expected a cat to be so close with a fox. Tigerstripe's eyes opened a second later, and beside him, Dusty let out a large yawn.

Flamepaw turned her gaze to the wolves and dogs, watching as Breeze was slowly awakened by the whimpering of her newborn pups. Rose and Holly were still fast asleep, but Lupin had awoke now, and he smiled warmly at Breeze.

Flamepaw gently nudged Barkpaw, watching as his eyes slowly opened.

"Morning, sleepyhead," she purred.

"Five more minutes," Barkpaw grumbled, resting his head back down on his paws.

Suddenly, Rain jerked awake, her eyes wild. She was breathing heavily, and Flamepaw jumped in surprise. What had spooked the fox?

"Are you okay?" Tigerstripe asked Rain, also clearly taken aback.

The fox blinked quickly and then glanced back at the ground, slowly relaxing.

"Yes, of course," she assured him, her breaths becoming more stable now and no longer as rapid. "It was just a ye—nightmare."

"Okay then," Tigerstripe replied oddly. Flamepaw felt a bit awkward too, not sure whether or not the fox could be trusted.

Barkpaw was finally able to keep his eyes open by this point, and Mothwing had also stirred and had begun to carefully inspect Lupin's wounds. As all the animals slowly woke and greeted the new day, Lupin spoke up.

"I'm not sure it's safe for all of us to be out in the open," he explained. "We should find some real shelter, just in case the hunters return. We can transport the pups there."

"But you're still weak," Flamepaw told him, his wounds clearly contrasting with his fur. "We need to wait until you heal."

Mothwing sat up and stared at Lupin. "Not a budge from you!" she warned. "It would only make you less weak!"

Lupin shrunk back down, clearly disappointed.

"Flamepaw and Mothwing are right, dear," Breeze replied, licking her mate's ear. "You're still too weak, and the pups are far too young. If we haven't been bothered by now, I don't think we will be again."

"Do you hear something?" Rain suddenly interrupted, pricking her ears.

Flamepaw froze, wondering if Breeze had just jinxed what she had said to Lupin. She pricked her ears with the other cats but heard no sound.

"I don't hear anything," Tigerstripe told her.

Rain was beginning to look as frightened as she had when she first awoke, and she shrunk down, murmuring quietly, "Are you really sure?"

"No one hears anything, do they?" Flamepaw asked.

All of the others nodded, trying to calm the worried fox.

Dusty shrugged and turned toward Rain. "It must just be in your head."

Rain nodded, though she still held a worried gaze. "Yes, I suppo—"

"Well, good afternoon," came a sweet voice.

Flamepaw leapt up, frightened by whatever had spoken. Rain spun around, looking for where the sound had come from, and Dusty immediately did the same.