Chapter 19

"So, how exactly are you finding the SwampClan camp?" Barkpaw asked Mothwing as they worked their way through the forest, brushing past leafy bushes and walking under tall trees that stretched high into the sky.

Mothwing held her nose high in the air for a moment, then lowered it back down, turning her gaze toward the brown-striped tom.

"The scent is easy to pick up on, and I'm familiar with the surrounding area. I tried to escape several times, and I did not get extremely far before I ran into you. We should be there in a few sunrises," Mothwing assured him.

"A few sunrises?!" Flamepaw gasped. "Do you have any idea how much trouble RiverClan could be in by that point?"

Mothwing shot her a glare.

"I'm working as best as I can," she told Flamepaw. "I don't remember the exact route, so it'll take some time for me to lead you there."

"But isn't there a shortcut? A quicker way?" Barkpaw asked.

Mothwing let out a low growl. "Perhaps if you two would give me some peace, I could find a shorter way."

This shut both Flamepaw and Barkpaw's mouths, and they quietly trotted behind her, allowing her to lead the way. Flamepaw met Barkpaw's gaze and smiled weakly before turning her gaze back to Mothwing's backside. She sighed, hoping RiverClan wouldn't be in too much trouble by the time they arrived.

"Mothwing, I'm sorry," Flamepaw spoke up at last. "You've been of a lot of help to us, and we haven't really thanked you enough for all the work you've done."

"And we understand it's difficult to find again the clan you were trying to escape," Barkpaw added. "We're sorry."

Mothwing smiled weakly. "Don't be. We're all under a lot of stress and are bound to bicker. It's a lot to take in."

"I wish Goldstar hadn't run off," Flamepaw muttered. "We could've helped her."

"You know Goldstar wouldn't have wanted that," Mothwing replied. "If she found out we were looking to help RiverClan right now, she'd be furious."

"But it seems like such a cowardice move," Barkpaw argued. "She wants us to stay away yet she is giving up on her clan."

Mothwing sighed, and though Flamepaw agreed with Barkpaw, she knew Mothwing would have a better explanation.

"Like I said, you two have not personally witnessed what SwampClan is capable of. While I too think Goldstar is overreacting just a little, she is doing what she believes is best for the clan. And if she can keep a few of her clanmates from that torturous place, well then I suppose she really is trying to protect RiverClan," Mothwing explained.

"I hope my parents are okay," Flamepaw spoke quietly.

"And Rosepettle and Spotteddusk," Barkpaw added.

I wonder how Dusktail is, and Runningblaze and Snowheart, Flamepaw also thought.

"I hope Spotpaw is all right," Mothwing mewed miserably.

Suddenly, something popped into Flamepaw's head, and she remembered her encounter with Troutfin.

"Mothwing, did Troutfin happen to escape?" Flamepaw wondered.

Mothwing froze and spun around to face the two.

"What do you know about Troutfin?" she asked.