Chapter 40

The days passed, and Flameclaw knew the battle with MoonClan was rapidly approaching. Over the past few moons, their army had grown bigger, and SnowClan had practiced harder and harder. They'd already pushed back a few invaders, but it seemed like that was nothing like what was to come.

It was hard for Flameclaw to remain with the elders during this time. She was relieved to know that she wasn't the only one who felt this way. Other elders expressed their concern and at times thought they should be doing more. It seemed the queens agreed to.

But they had been told that they must not get involved. It pained Flameclaw to listen to this, but she knew Cloudstar had only enacted this rule in order to keep clan members safe. She knew that the warriors and apprentices could handle MoonClan.

One morning, Flameclaw awoke, startled, to hear the yell of Whiteclaw, one of Cloudstar's sons.

"MOONCLAN IS IN THE MEADOW FOR BATTLE!" he yowled.

The others elders began to stir beside her and were slightly disturbed by this. Flameclaw glanced at Barkfern in concern, knowing that the day had been approaching, but not expecting it so soon. Her mate calmly pressed his tail on her back.

"It'll be okay," he promised.

Flameclaw gulped and nodded, hoping that she'd see all her kits and their families return safely when the battle ended at the end of the day.

"EVERYONE, WE MUST FIGHT!" Cloudstar yowled as all eyes turned on him. A small calico kitten had been playing with his mate, Dovewing, beside him. They had both stopped and looked at him.

"Leafkit, you stay here," he told the little kitten as she seemed ready to fight. He looked at Dovewing and then turned his attention to the elders' den. "Elders too."

Flameclaw nodded and watched as the other elders rose to their feet, keeping alert just in case.

"I need every medicine cat, apprentice, and warrior," Cloudstar announced. The cats soon left from their dens and gathered around their leader.

"Let's go!" he yowled.

Flameclaw watched as her clan walked away, hoping that they would all return with success.

"May StarClan grant them safety," she murmured. She had longed to say good-bye to her kits, but the cats were already leaving, and there was no time. In a matter of minutes, the camp grew more quiet than it had ever been.

Some of the other elders slowly moved outside for precautionary measures. Flameclaw remained outside the den and watched Dovewing.

"Are you coming in?" Flameclaw asked her friend. The she-cat had moved to the elders' den a little bit before Flameclaw. She was glad to have her friend from the nursery by her side again.

"I'm going to stay with Leafkit," Dovewing announced. She followed the small kitten into the nursery while Flameclaw remained by the elders' den.

For a while, all remained quiet. Flameclaw was able to relax a little, and she eventually came back into the den and lay beside Barkfern who licked her cheek.

"It'll be okay," he said once more.

"I love you," she murmured, rubbing against him.

Barkfern didn't reply but only wrapped his tail around her. They sat for a while with the other elders while others whispered of what they suspected was going on.

The sun fully came to a rise, and Flameclaw wondered how long the battle would last. As soon as this thought crossed her mind, a series of yowls came from the perimeter of the camp.