VII

BEA

I stare in the rearview mirror as I drive from the grocery store back to Caitlin's. The same black Chevy Impala has been following me since I pulled out of the parking lot. It isn't Riri's usual ride, but I don't put anything past him. I'm tired of these fuckers infesting my damn town.

Speeding up, I weave in and out of traffic before quickly turning down a side road into a neighborhood. I whip down the street and double back the way I came. When I'm finally sure I lost the fucker, I hurry back to Caitlin's.

Today has been perfect.

Just the two of us. Alone.

No stupid fucking Chris.

And despite her words, her expressions and actions spoke volumes. Caitlin is affected by me. Whenever she looks at me, heat flickers in her eyes. I know the way I feel deep down about her isn't unrequited.

She wants me just as much as I want her.

One day soon, she will see it.

I'll be able to convince her we'd be good together.

I'm just so damn sure of it.

A smile plays at my lips as I plan on ways to flirt with her while she cooks for me. But as soon as I pull into the driveway, it's wiped right from my face. Chris comes storming out of the house, his face bright red and angry.

What the fuck?

I throw the car in park beside his and jump out, snagging my two sacks quickly. After I kick the door shut, I stalk his way.

"She's all yours," he sneers as his shoulder clips mine when he walks past me. "That is, until she stops throwing her temper tantrum."

I set the bags on the bottom step and storm over to him. He slings his car door open, but I grip the top before he can close it. "Anong sinabi mo?" I demand, glowering at him.

He tries and fails to close the door. "Sabi ko, sa'yo na s'ya," he bites out. "Pet needs a pet. A dirty little stray like yourself."

"Mabuti na lang pala roommates kami," I snarl, my tone mocking. "I like when she scratches behind my ears each night. Makes me want to lick her."

With a fury I've never seen before, he slams his fist on his steering wheel. "I fucking knew it! Not only is she a child, she's also a cheating whore!"

I'm so pissed that I nearly send my fist through the window, but a black Impala slowly drives by at that exact moment. I stare at the vehicle, trying desperately to see in the tinted windows, when Chris manages to yank the door out of my grip. He's already pulling out of the driveway before I can stop him.

He squeals off down the street, and I have half a mind to go after him. But right now, I need to see how Caitlin's feeling after their obvious blowout. Christ is such a pussy. He better not have said anything mean to her, like he spewed at me. She doesn't deserve that.

I snag up the bags and stalk inside. I'm not sure who was in the Impala but I'm certain if it were Riri, my ass would be dead. Riri doesn't simply drive by. No, this was someone else.

"Cait," I call out. "Everything okay? Nakita ko yung gago and --"

The first thing that reaches my ears is the sound of her sniffling. When I step into the kitchen, I have trouble processing the scene in front of me. Caitlin lies sprawled out in the middle of the floor, sobbing as she clutches her neck. I slam the bags on the counter and drop to my knees beside her.