XXI

BEA

Six weeks later

"In a minute," I say, my focus on my sketch pad.

Caitlin huffs, and I can't help but smile. "You said that ten minutes ago."

"Surprises have to be timed just right."

I steal a glance at her. She's beautiful today in a silky cream-colored shirt and fitted black skirt. With her brown hair twisted in a messy bun, she reminds me of a naughty school teacher or librarian. My dick twitches.

"How are you feeling?" she asks as she comes to sit on the edge of my desk where my feet are propped up.

"Like a million bucks."

Another huff.

Every time she asks me, I give her the same reply. And it's the truth. I may have been pumped full of lead but I made it through. I had to. She was waiting on the other side for me.

"Okay, done. Whatcha think?" I ask and pass her the notebook, ignoring the pain that streaks across my chest at the movement.

She stares down at it and her lip trembles. She loves it. I knew she would. "Oh, Bea."

I lift a brow at her and reach forward to pat her knee, my new tattoo visible on my forearm that's exposed with my dress shirt sleeves rolled up. She runs her fingers along the words -- words that match her forearm exactly.

Thick as thieves.

"Yes," she tells me firmly without hesitation.

"It was a rhetorical question," I say in a smug tone and wink at her. "I already knew the answer."

She laughs and slaps at my hand. "You're too much."

"I'm not enough." My words are somber. Often, i worry that's the truth. Especially since I've had to rely on her to do everything for me the past few weeks. Driving. Laundry. Hell, at one point, showering. My sweet Caitlin has had to fucking take care of me. It's annoying as hell that I can't sling her over my shoulder and have my way with her. I'm still too weak and only recently have I been feeling more like myself. A collapsed lung, punctured intestine, and shattered spleen will bring a strong man to his knees. It nearly took me to my grave.

"You're everything," she says in the fiercest tone.

Our eyes meet and she almost knocks me over with the love shining in her eyes. "I love you," I blurt out. I don't ever refrain from telling her anymore. I've been made well aware that life can be over in the blink of an eye, and you can't waste a minute of it.

"I love you, too." She leans forward to kiss me, and I pull her into my lap. "Bea! You'll hurt yourself."

Smirking, I brush some hair away from her face. "I'm fine. You were there at this morning's appointment when Dr. Reyes said I was fine..." I trail off and palm the inside of her thigh before inching my hand up under her skirt. "I'm fine for everything."

Her cheeks blaze red and a shy smile curves her lips up. "Everything?"

My fingers brush against her panties. "Everything. Even anal."

She giggles, and I'm trying to sneak my fingers into her panties when my office door swings open. Deanna groans and covers her eyes.

"Really? We give you an office for what? So you can have a quiet place to feel our sister up?" Her words are amused despite her grumbling.