III

BEA

I crack my neck as I wind through Carly and Deanna's neighborhood. Sleeping like a fucking statue last night sucked, but at least it was with Caitlin, which made it so worth it. Even if I do have stiff joints today. When I woke with goddamned morning wood that was doing its best to stab her, I had to blot before I did something stupid like poke her between her pretty pink lips.

My dick twitches at the thought and I groan. With a huff, I steal another French fry from the sack on the passenger seat. Despite that dumbass wannabe drug dealer looking for me, I still picked up dinner from our favorite place. I just didn't check in this time to get my ten percent discount.

When I pull into Deanna and Carly's driveway, I stare at the big house in the dark for a long moment. My sister deserves a nice life. A man -- albeit a motherfucker -- who is good to her. The expensive house. The baby. I'm proud of her. Sadly, it's a reminder that I can't even compete when it comes to my own life. What I wouldn't give to be able to offer this entire happily-ever-after package to some woman one day.

Not just any woman.

Caitlin.

My chest aches. She's on the fast track to having this life with Chris. I don't necessarily hate the guy.. I just don't like him. She can do better. Better than him. Better than me.

Pushing away my brooding thoughts, I snag our Blizzards and burgers. I trot up the steps and the door flies open as I reach the top.

"You came and, oh my God" -- she groans as she snags a sack from me -- "I'm starving."

"So happy to see you, too, Cait," I tease as I follow her inside. "Where's my niece?"

"Sleeping," she says quietly. "No wonder they needed a date night. That little girl is so fussy. I was ready to rip my hair out." Her hand dives into the bag and she retrieves a fry. "You're here early."

"Naisip ko na baka gutom ka na," I say with a shrug as I help her pull the food from the bags.

She lets out a moan of happiness as she takes a huge bite of her burger. I can't help but grin at her. The girl loves her Dairy Queen. Once she swallows, she smiles at me. "Thank you. Wala akong kinain buong araw."

I frown. "Akala ko may lunch ka with Chris today."

Her cheeks turn pink and she nibbles at a French fry. "He cancelled."

"So hindi ka kumain?" Irritation flickers through me. So maybe I do hate the guy. "Ba't di mo ako tinawagan? Eh di sana dinalhan kita ng pagkain."

She waves me off as she devours another bite. "It was fine. I survived."

My broody mood returns and we eat in silence. It isn't until we've finished and cleaned up that she hugs me suddenly. Hugs for us come easy. Just another simple part of our friendship.

But this time I don't hug her briefly.

This time, I embrace her tightly and inhale her delicious smelling hair.

When she starts to pull away, I don't let her go. I can't let her go.

Her chin lifts so she can meet my gaze. Heated brown eyes seem to dance with different emptions as that brain of hers works overtime. I think I see need in them. Maybe guilt. Also happiness.

At least I'm not the only one who feels conflicted.

"You still up for helping me till the garden on Saturday?" she questions, her voice hoarse as she desperately tries to steer the conversation elsewhere. Neither of us makes any move to separate from our embrace. "Maybe we can dig the holes, too, if time allows."