Chapter 13: Covet

"Sir, he is in a meeting--"

"I don't fucking care!" The voice thunders, and the assistant quickly steps aside. The chestnut-haired male slams the door open, striding into the room where his brothers sit at the desk, deep in discussion.

"Seungkwan--"

"Shut up, hyung! I don't want it, and I don't need that watchdog either," Seungkwan snaps, folding his arms defiantly as he stands before them.

"This isn't a discussion, Seungkwan. You need it, and that's final," Mingyu says firmly, closing his laptop and staring at his younger brother, who glares back at him.

"I just want a normal life. I don't want a bodyguard breathing down my neck 24/7. Please, I don't want it," Seungkwan's voice trembles with irritation.

"Either the bodyguard stays, or you're going back to the States, Kwan." The loud grumble from their eldest brother makes Seungkwan clench his fists in frustration. He stares at the blonde-haired male sitting with eyes as sharp as a tiger's.

Going back to the States wasn't an option; he didn't want to. But staying here in Korea was even more dangerous, yet he still wanted to be here.

Seungkwan's gaze darts between his brothers, his frustration boiling over. "You can't just dictate my life like this! I have the right to choose."

Mingyu sighs, rubbing his temples. "This isn't about control, Seungkwan. It's about your safety. You know the threats we've been getting. It was your car this time, what if you were in it?"

Seungkwan scoffs, shaking his head. "I can handle myself. I don't need a babysitter."

The eldest brother leans forward, his voice low and menacing. "This isn't up for debate. You either accept the bodyguard, or you go back to the States. End of discussion."

Seungkwan's jaw tightens, his mind racing. The thought of leaving Korea and everything he loves here makes his chest tighten. But the idea of having a constant shadow, someone monitoring his every move, feels suffocating.

"I hate this," he mutters, his voice breaking slightly. "I hate feeling like a prisoner in my own life."

Mingyu's expression softens for a moment, but the resolve in his eyes doesn't waver. "We all hate it, Seungkwan. But it's the only way to keep you safe."

Seungkwan turns on his heel, storming out of the room. As he slams the door behind him, he feels the weight of his brothers' decisions bearing down on him. He knows they mean well, but it doesn't make the situation any easier to swallow.

Seungkwan feels his eyes moistening as he hurries toward the parking lot, his steps quickening with the desperate need to escape. Running away always seemed to be the only thing he was good at.

"Sir--"

Seungkwan halts, his steps stopping abruptly as he turns to see his bodyguard standing by his car. He takes a deep breath, feeling his nerves fray.

"Move," Seungkwan orders, his voice strained but firm.

The bodyguard doesn't budge. "I can't let you leave alone, sir."

Seungkwan's fists clench at his sides, his frustration bubbling over. "I'm not a child. I don't need a babysitter."

"I'm just doing my job," the bodyguard replies calmly, his eyes unwavering.

Seungkwan takes another deep breath, trying to steady himself. "I need space. I need to think. Please."

The bodyguard's expression softens slightly, but he remains resolute. "I understand, but I have to follow orders. Your safety comes first."