Chapter 15: Crazy is better

"If my husband doesn't wake up, or god help me--"

Pain. Intense pain radiated from his left abdomen. He fluttered his eyes open, trying to part his dry, cracked lips and swallow. The light in the room was glaringly bright, and his dark eyes blinked rapidly as they adjusted to the brightness.

"Look! He is blinking."

Seungcheol opened his eyes, his vision initially blurry, slowly focusing on the figures surrounding his bed. He couldn't remember the last time he felt so weak, all because of a bullet. This vulnerability was new and unsettling.

"C-can you see?" The voice broke through his haze, and Seungcheol blinked at his husband, Jeonghan, who was staring at him with wide, worried eyes. Jeonghan's eyes were shiny, his hair disheveled, and his face pale as if he hadn't slept in days.

"Y-" Seungcheol's chest tightened, and he coughed.

"Water, Jun, water!" Jeonghan yelled, his hands caressing Seungcheol's chest gently. It was then Seungcheol realized he was lying naked in the bed, a few bandages wrapped around his waist. Jeonghan's fingers were soft, and he was being incredibly gentle.

"Here." Jeonghan carefully helped Seungcheol sit up against the headboard, his movements gentle as he steadied Seungcheol's spinning head. He pressed a glass of water to Seungcheol's lips. Seungcheol sighed, his hands curling around Jeonghan's fingers as he took a couple of sips.

"Enough." Seungcheol mumbled, pushing the glass away. His body felt drained of all strength. How could a small bullet wound have such an effect on him?

"Are you okay now?" Jeonghan's eyebrows were knitted in worry as he gently placed his hand over Seungcheol's chest, caressing it softly.

Seungcheol nodded before turning his attention to Minghao and Jun, who stood at the foot of the bed. Minghao's face was impassive as usual, but Jun's worry was evident as he nervously bit his nails.

"Sir, are you okay?" Jun asked, his eyes narrowing in concern. Seungcheol gave a weak nod before focusing on Minghao, who stared back at him.

"The drive—"

"Collected. Seokmin has it," Minghao replied curtly, leaving no room for further questions. Seungcheol closed his eyes, feeling a slight relief.

"You're still worried about that stupid drive?" Jeonghan's voice cut through his thoughts. Seungcheol opened his eyes to see Jeonghan glaring at him. "Why did you do this alone? You have so many men behind you! Why didn't you take them—"

Seungcheol's fingers curled around the back of Jeonghan's neck, pulling him into his chest. He wasn't entirely sure why he did it. Maybe for comfort, or maybe just to make Jeonghan stop talking. He decided it was the latter.

"I'm fine now," Seungcheol said softly, massaging Jeonghan's neck. He felt Jeonghan's tense hands relax as he melted into his arms. Seungcheol nodded at Minghao and Jun, who quickly got the message and left the room, leaving Seungcheol and Jeonghan alone.

As the door clicked shut behind Minghao and Jun, the room fell into a heavy silence. Jeonghan shifted slightly, pulling away from Seungcheol’s shoulder, his face hardening.

“You scared the hell out of me, you know that?” Jeonghan’s voice was low, simmering with barely restrained anger.

Seungcheol let out a soft sigh, his fingers still resting on the back of Jeonghan’s neck. “I know. I’m sorry.”