Chapter Three: End of a Battle

Lights surrounded the alley, troops blocking off the exits.  

"Eira!" 

Gunshots were fired, the sound echoing dangerously throughout the city. Kaneki knew he had to flee but he didn't want to leave (y/n). Ayato laid on the ground, broken and damaged, his injuries slowly healing. 

Centipede and the black rabbit are here

Sending reinforcement down

Kaneki picked up on the codes and tactics that were so carelessly being exchanged between the doves. He managed his way over to (Y/n), kneeling by her side. He held her hand, his mask loosely on. He leaned in close to her ear, whispering: It's okay, I'll be back. 

On the far corner Aito, Eira's partner watched with fascination. Her entire life she was told that these things, ghouls, couldn't ever feel human emotions. They were false beings created by twisted lies of the devil.  

Kaneki lifted her limp body up, burying his head into the crook of her neck. Aito held her pistol firmly, hesitating whether she should pull the trigger. Her finger lay gently against the cold metal pull, but the more Kaneki expressed his grief, the more sympathy Aito felt. She needed to retrieve her partner but this scene was making it much more difficult for her. 

"I failed," Kaneki whispered, "I failed to protect you." He didn't cry, no, but he sat there with Eira in his arms. He had no indication of moving from his position. He was in his own world; a tragic one. 

Aito removed herself from the isolated wall and began to attack the ghoul. He took in the inflicting pain. Aito wish he would just go away but he remained still. Before anything else, she tackled him to the ground, and looked into his eyes. They were so expressive, containing so many melancholic emotions but as soon as she peered into them, they turned dull and emotionless, just like before. 

Eira twitched from the cold, blood stained pavement. Her heart was slowly beating, and her breathing was steady. A small, innocent voice echoed in her head. 

Wake up mama, you're stronger than this. Protect your lover, your friend and your past. I'll give you strength. 

Eira sat up weakly, her eyes turning black. She felt disconnected with her body. This was not her who was waking up. No, this was her child. Her kagune shot from her body and caged Eira. Her wounds healed quickly, a certain calmness entered her being despite the horror just outside her walls. 

Eira stood up, her kagune twirling into a flaming flower behind her. Aito stared at Eira in dismay. This was something that she did not see coming. 

"E-Eira . . ."

"Aito, please don't be afraid. I won't hurt you."

Aito flinched when she tried reaching out for her. She yelled and ran back behind a wall. She was a coward and she only felt more betrayed. Eira kept her identity a secret even when she called her a friend.

Eira was deeply apologetic but before she could say her sincere apology's, she turned to Kaneki. Her eyes lingered at his figure for a moment until she saw Ayato, her master, on the ground practically torn apart from the gruesome fight. She quickly rushed over to him, almost as if instinct. 

This tore Kaneki. 

Mado's squad came rolling in prepared for any outcome and turn of events. Kaneki inched closer to Eira and Ayato but she yelled out and neared her kagune at his neck. "Stay back! Or I'll slit your throat." Kaneki couldn't comprehend what she was saying. The girl who said she loved him was now favoring the boy who tortured her until no end.

Eira couldn't think and only held her master closely. 

This isn't me, no Kaneki. Please, I know this isn't entirely your fault. 

Ayato was conscious but very injured. He could feel Eira's warmth and this soothed him to a recovering state. 

Around the three was Mado's Squad, holding fire as they saw the two-faced woman reveal herself. Akira wasn't surprised, but just like Aito, unamused and betrayed.  

"Akira we should attack th-"

"Hold on."

Eira turned to Kaneki and with a plead, she begged Kaneki to take Ayato. "Please, I know this is wrong but just help him get home." Kaneki held Ayato, but he couldn't help but stare at Eira. He didn't want her to go. She was destined to get persecuted. 

Eira picked up on this. She comforted Kaneki, "I'll be alright Ken." 

Is he the one?

"It's okay. It always is, remember?"

Will you manage without him?

Without a single kiss, Kaneki left and reluctantly abandoned Eira. 

You care for him more than the other one. Is sun your soulmate?

 (y/n) just stared as his figured dismissed into the shadows. She felt her heart ache but she knew it wouldn't be goodbye for ever. 

I love you, Ken. It'll be over soon. 

I think I know who you choose.

//Last updated: 05/27/2018 20:46//