Chapter Eight: Message Received

Kaiyo was fuming with anger when I arrived at the principals office. 

"But he told me nobody liked me!" Kaiyo shouted. I looked at her dead in the eye. I lowered myself to reach her height and held her shoulders firmly. 

"That doesn't give you a reason to beat the living day light out of him, Kaiyo. There are better ways to resolve things that don't regard violence." 

She had a scowl on her face. It was obvious she was mad that I wasn't defending her. "So then why do you kill ghoul's, huh?! You're just a big hypocrite." She removed herself from me and marched off. I sighed heavily and turned to the principal. He was about to say something but I interrupted him before he could utter a word.

"My daughter is sensitive. I suggest speaking with that student who said that awful thing to her. If you do not, I will definitely do something about this matter and this will not look good on the school. And trust me, I do get my ways."  

The principal gulped and gestured me to take a seat. "I have to go get my daughter ready for her concert." 

"And what concert is your daughter going to? It certainly isn't our school concert." I stopped in my track when I heard him say that. I turned to face him, glaring at him. 

"I would rather have her play in an alley way than in your schools gymnasium. She's too good for your program anyways."

I grabbed Kaiyo's hand on my way out and dragged her along side me. I knew that I didn't exactly handle things properly but I've been dealing with the same thing for years. I receive judgment from other parents because of my age. You'd think that they would treat you as an equal, maybe be even more sympathetic. 

I walked out the building. Across the street I saw Sasaki with a woman. I tensed and felt an itch in my throat. I closed my eyes and breathed. He is of no importance to me. He's just a subordinate. Kaiyo asked who he was and I replied that he was no one. 

~Kaiyo's P.O.V and turn at the concert~ 

(Play the song from above if you haven't yet already. If you did, replay it here. The song may be longer than the story below.)

I saw mama down front. She seemed hot and bored. She fanned herself with a flyer and kept looking at her watch. I wondered if she really cared to be here or if she simply felt obliged. I walked onto the stage. The piano was large and I felt a little nervous. I was only put in piano classes a year ago. I was an amateur compared to the others in the facility. 

I took a deep breath in and lifted the cover that hid the piano keys. The background changed and from the ceiling came artificial snow. A sort of serenity came to me as I sat down comfortably. Soon enough, I was playing. It seemed so easy. I cared so much to get this perfectly to impress mama when she herself seem so distracted. I tasted salt on my lips and I realized I was crying. I could barely see my hands make its way down the keys and up. 

I thought of my dad. I wonder who he could be. Would he enjoy listening and watching me perform? I hope so. I think he would be supportive. I want to believe that. I guess the reason why I chose this particular piece was because it carried so many emotions. I want my dad. I just want to meet him. Would he learn to love me?

I think that the piano can carry this message to him. This might be the only way he'd hear me. I could here the front chair shuffle. I knew that mama had left to take care of her work. I wasn't surprised. I expected it. I'm sure my dad would stay.