Chapter Four: The Beast

Maurice climbed up the large steps up to the giant doors of the castle. Maurice assumed that the castle was occupied by someone since a lamp outside was lit. The door opened for him so he walked in, thanking whoever opened the door, only to see that there was no one there. Keeping out the cold, Maurice closed the door behind him. Walking in more, Maurice called out to see if anyone was in, while also apologizing for the intrusion. He explained that he was just a traveler, hoping to seek shelter from the storm outside. But no one seemed to answer him.

He put his coat on a coat hanger as he waited for someone to speak up. As Maurice waited for someone to answer, candelabra and a clock started to whisper to each other. The candelabra whispered to the clock about how Maurice must have lost his way. The clock told the candelabra to be quiet. Of course, their loud whispers caught the attention of Maurice who went to investigate. Seeing the candelabra and clock, he admired how beautiful they both looked. Such fine craftsmanship. But his attention was taken away from the artifacts when he heard a piano playing.

Walking towards the ballroom, the music grew louder. But, once Maurice reached the ballroom, the music stopped and the candles went out. This confused Maurice as there was no one in the room to play the piano. So, Maurice just walked away, heading towards the fire to warm up a bit. But his focus was soon taken away from the fire when he heard the clatter of plates in the other room. Following the noise, Maurice found himself in a dining room where a small feast was waiting for him. Thanking his unknown hoast, he sat at the table to eat after his long and dangerous journey so far. As he started to eat some bread, a little teacup moved forward, startling Maurice a bit.

"Mama said I wasn't supposed to move because it might be scary," the teacup said in a little boy's voice, "Sorry."

Maurice hesitated at first before answering, "It's alright..."

He almost immediately got up from his chair, thinking it was a good idea to leave this strange castle. Going back to the main doors, Maurice grabbed his coat, thanked his unknown host, and bid them goodnight, wanting to leave now. But, at last, all this had gained the attention of the owner of the castle. And they were far from happy. Climbing onto the back of Philippe, Maurice started to leave the castle. But, before he left, he stumbled upon a part of the garden filled with white roses. Maurice knew that he wasn't going to be able to find his music box again to take it to where he was originally supposed to go.

So, not wanting this journey to go to waste, Maurice tied up Philippe and went to pick a rose for Belle. But there was something out there with him. Philippe could sense it and was becoming agitated. But Maurice took no notice, trying to take the first rose he could reach. As he tried to pick the rose off, he pricked himself on its thorns. But he tried again, successfully managing to take the rose from the bush. Only for someone to appear behind him and put a claw near his neck, keeping it close. Scared, Philippe managed to break free from where he was being held and ran away, leaving his master to his fate.

Knowing his way home, Philippe ran all the way back to the village to get Belle or Maddie. Maddie and Belle were picking the vegetables from their garden when they heard Philippe whining. By then, it was the next morning, and Maddie and Belle were still waiting for their father to return. But when they only saw Philippe without their father or the wagon, they grew worried. Philippe took a drink of water while Maddie and Belle made sure that their father wasn't lagging behind at all. But Maurice was nowhere in sight. So, putting a saddle on Philippe, Belle had him take her to where her father had gone missing while Maddie stayed behind to watch over the village.

Philippe took Belle through the snowy woods, leading her quickly through the path they took the other night. Halfway to the castle, Belle saw the broken wagon and the music box which had fallen out of its box during the chaos with the wolves. Belle just continued going forward until she and Philippe reached the castle grounds. Once they reached the stairs to the castle, Belle dismounted Philippe and picked up a stick for protection. Remaining cautious, Belle walked towards the doors, opening them to let herself in.

As Belle walked through the main hall, the candelabra pointed out to the clock how beautiful Belle was, even pointing out that she was a girl. The clock scolded the candelabra, saying how they could see that. But the candelabra ignored his comment, asking if maybe she was the one who could break the spell. Hearing the voices, Belle called them out, asking if anyone was there. But all she saw was the candelabra and the clock. While examining the two objects, Belle heard her father coughing. Grabbing the lit candelabra, she made her way up the stairs where she heard her father. She followed the sound of her father's coughing, making her way up a tower to find him.

"Papa, is that you?" Belle asked, putting the candelabra down and kneeling down to her father who was in a cell.

"Belle!" Maurice was both surprised and worried that she was even here, "How did you find me?"

"Your hands are ice," Belle said holding her father's hands, "We need to get you home."

"Belle, you must leave here at once! This castle is alive! Now go, before he finds you!"

"Who?"

Belle then heard footsteps from the staircase opposite her and Maurice.

"Who's there?" Belle asked, "Who are you?"

"Who are you?" A male voice asked her.

"I've come for my father."

"Your father is a thief," the man continued to walk down the stairs.

Belle couldn't believe that, "Liar!"

"He stole a rose," the man appeared at a doorway, hidden in darkness.

"I asked for the rose. Punish me, not him."

"No! He means forever," Maurice told her, "Apparently, that's what happens around here when you pick a flower!"

"A life sentence for a rose?" Belle couldn't believe what she was hearing.

The man continued to walk closer to her, staying in the darkness, "I received eternal damnation for one. I'm merely locking him away. Now, do you still wish to take your father's place?"

"Come into the light."

The man hesitated, staying in the darkness, So, Belle took the candelabra and shined it in his face to reveal something truly awful. He has the head structure and horns of a buffalo, the arms and body of a bear, the eyebrows of a gorilla, the jaws, teeth, and mane of a lion, the tusks of a wild boar and the legs and tail of a wolf. A face worthy of a Beast.

"Choose," The Beast said glaring at Belle.

"Belle, I won't let you do this," Maurice said to Belle," I lost your mother. I won't lose you, too. Now, go. Go!"

Maurice was cut off by his own coughing.

"All right, Papa, I'll leave," Belle said giving in before looking at the Beast, "I need a minute alone with him."

The Beast said nothing and turned to walk away.

"Are you so cold-hearted you won't allow a daughter to kiss her father goodbye?" Belle asked him, "Forever can spare a minute."

Giving in, the Beast pulled a lever to open the cell door.

"When this door closes, it will not open again," The Beast warned her.

Belle put the candelabra down before rushing in to see her father one last time. The two embraced.

"I should have been with you," Belle said, regretting not coming with him this time.

"Oh, no, no. Belle, listen to me. It's all right," Maurice assured her, "Now go. Live your life. And forget me."

"Forget you? Everything I am is because of you."

"I love you, Belle. Don't be afraid."

"I love you too, Papa. I'm not afraid," Belle hugged her father one last time, "And I will escape. I promise."

Maurice was confused by this before Belle pushed him out of the cell, closing the door. She was taking her father's place, no matter what he says.

"You took his place," The Beast said almost surprised.

"He's my father," Belle said.

"He's a fool. And so are you."

The Beast picked up Maurice by his collar and dragged him out of the dungeons. Maurice called out to Belle, assuring her that he would come back to get her. And that was the last thing she heard from him as he was dragged away.