Adam

Maya was laughing on a thing I've said, that I don't actually remember, she's the kind of person that laughs on a joke for an entire hour. We went to China Town as a shared love of the food and culture, and ate in Z&Y. Maya is somehow like the female version of myself, before my mother's death, that is. She likes to lighten the mood wherever she is, she'd go somewhere and she won't settle for less than everyone's attention. We started off pretty bad, we knew each other from school but we never met until she was sitting in the cafeteria with her friends and I was passing by, I stumbled and my entire tray fell on her, mashed potatoes, cranberry juice, and chocolate cake. She demanded I say sorry in front of everyone and I refused, telling her that she should know where to sit and not just be in the way. Later that day I found my car hit from the back and a note that said SORRY ABOUT THAT! SEE THE DIFFERENCE? I KNOW WHEN TO SAY SORRY. -M
I smile at the memory, knowing I'll be missing her when she leaves for San Diego.
"So tell me, what are you going to do?" She spoke with her mouth full, like the food would run away if she ever stops. Maya is a monster inside a petite girl, she eats more than she speaks, and believe me, she speaks a lot.
"About what?" I smile despite myself, something about Maya makes me feel like my old self again.
"The expedition, Rebecca, your hair? You know, the messed up things in your life." She winks.
"I didn't realize my hair is among the disastrous things in my life." I run a hand through it.
"Well it sure is." She frowns. "It looks like you spent an hour trying to make it messy, I like it, but I don't want the girls to fall in love with you before their expedition! Just brush it or something."
"Okay, I can take care of that, no problem." I nod like a student that would do anything to please his teacher.
"Good boy! Now, the expedition?"
"I told you I'm not going." I sigh.
"I don't think I can change your mind about that, but the poor girl will have to take a long journey on her own, the least you can do is get closer to where she is."
"I don't care." I roll my eyes and watch the Chinese dragon dance that's happening outside the restaurant.
"And finally, Becca?" She looks concerned now, like I'm her patient and she's trying to figure me out.
"We're done Maya, there's nothing more to say." I take a sip of my jasmine tea and look at her. She's closing her eyes, which only means one thing, she's thinking.
She opens her eyes suddenly and they're brighter than before. "Let's play honest scarfy!" She squeaks.
"Now?"
"Aha!"
Honest scarfy is a game Maya made up, where you cover your face with a scarf and say everything you think honestly to the person in front of you, she says the scarf helps lessen the tension and awkwardness.
"Alright." She covers her face with her scarf and I close my eyes so it's better to focus.
"I think you're putting your whole life on the stick, it's not the end of the world, your mom passed away and I don't know how you ever thought that she'll be there forever! Everyone is meant to leave, but the difference between you and her is that she didn't choose that, she was happy and she left happy. You're making yourself miserable and it's not going to change the fact that she is gone. You broke Becca's heart when all she wanted was to be by your side. I know you just felt like you don't love her anymore, but you didn't have to cut her off like that. It breaks my heart seeing you like this, I want my awesome, funny friend back. You're honestly, without exaggeration, the best looking guy I've ever seen. I mean look at those crystal blue eyes, the dark silky hair, and the perfectly structured jaw line! You're built up perfectly and I'm literally jealous from whoever gets to have you. You're taking away the chance of love from the girl that I'm sure you're going to adore. Why are you doing this?" She says all of this so quickly that it hits me so hard.
I open my eyes and she's still wearing the scurf around her face.
"Wow." My eyes are wide, that's the most she has ever said this openly.
She slowly takes the scarf off, afraid she hurt my feelings, but is feels like the exact opposite. She somehow revived me.
"Too rough?" She smiled weakly and looked at me with innocent eyes.
"No! No." I grin, "God, no."
I can't help but laugh and she looks confused.
I stand up, knowing I have someplace to go.
"You won't believe how much I needed this. I'll talk to you later today, I have to go now." I lean and kiss her on the forehead and she laughs.
I needed that. Every word.