CHAPTER ONE

chapter one: the president's stare

SERAPHINA FAYE ONLY HAD ONE reaping left. One more reaping, and then she would never have had to deal with anything Hunger Games ever again. But no, fate had dealt her the worst cards, and when she had just turned 18, she was chosen.

The train ride to the Capitol lasted 2 days, to which the boy from district 8, Christian, had slept. There was no one else on the train but the Mayor, who was only there to escort the duo to the Capitol, where they would be trained and groomed before being killed.

That's how Seraphina seen it. Killed. There was no chance she would win. People trained their entire lives for these games, and here she was. No fight, no survival, no hope.

The train neared its stop, where Seraphina was forced into a trial room. Tests, baths, waxing, tweezing. It was all a bit of a blur.

The next thing she remembered was standing next to a carriage, her wild hair and makeup catching the eye of passers-by. She had been thrown into a cream patched dress, her stylist wanting to symbolise district 8's textiles. She thought she looked stupid. (see at top)

Suddenly, the boy from earlier had reappeared, wearing a suit that matched her dress with his hair spiked up in different directions

Suddenly, the boy from earlier had reappeared, wearing a suit that matched her dress with his hair spiked up in different directions. Phina wasn't sure what direction their stylist was going, but she didn't have much room to say anything.

He gave her a once over, quirking his lips up at her glittery face. "Nice make-up."

"Nice hair," she retorted, turning back to their carriage in confusion. A hand on the girl's back startled her, turning swiftly to see a smartly dressed man coming to stand in front of them.

"My new tributes," he smirked, his hand lingering on Seraphina was much too long. Now the girl recognised him.

Atticus Maverick, victor of the 51st Hunger Games, won at the age of 18. His tactic of befriending the career tributes before silently murdering them in their sleep got him just enough goodies, as well as a heap of sponsors to become district 8's only living tribute.

Well, other than the 16th victor, Claudiana Treech and 34th victors Edwardus Havens. But both had completely disassociated themselves with the games and district 8, living in some penthouse suite with their victor money.

That left Atticus as their only mentor. Seraphina wanted to crawl up into a ball and cry.

He pointed towards the boy, his eyes narrowed as if waiting for a name to come into his head. The blonde huffed slightly. "Christian."

"Christian, yes!" Atticus acted as though he had just remembered, his glittering scarf, flicking over his shoulder before his eyes trailed down to the girl, a wicked grin on his face. "And you are?"

"Seraphina," the girl grumbled, crossing her arms to hide her chest. growing increasingly uncomfortable under his wandering stare. "Which you would know if you'd come to the reaping like your supposed to."