CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

chapter seventeen: the real enemies

THE AIR BECAME CRISP IN the night sky of the Quarter Quell arena. The team of six had tracked to the large tree in mere silence as to not alarm or attract any other tributes.

Seraphina Faye walked with Peeta Mellark, who happened to fall into step with her mere moments before they reached the centre.

"You okay?" He asked with a whisper, weary of the fact that they had to stay silent but also slightly concerned for the girl he now considered a friend.

She simply nodded, her lips in a thin line as she stared at her feet as she walked. In all honesty, the girl's mind couldn't stop racing from what Finnick had said to her earlier.

It was the confession she had wanted 2 years ago, the confession that could've made them truly fight for their happiness. And she had to hear it from him during the fight of their lives.

How could he endanger himself like that? Her brain was scattered with confusion as she nervously tucked her curled hair behind her ear. How could he out himself in a time that was so crucial to his survival?

Seraphina was not stupid. She was the opposite, in fact. The cornucopia was surrounded by deep water, where barely any tribute could swim. A trident has been in the centre? No. Seraphina knew these games were rigged so that Finnick Odair would come out victorious.

And she was glad.

This quarter quell was sure to end in heartbreak. She wasn't just losing her life, but the life of Joanna, Beetee — the girl even grew fond of Peeta and Katniss. Watching them die would break her, but she had to make sure Finnick won.

That was who she was here to protect. Not herself, but Finnick Odair, the Capitol Sweetheart that had saved her life. And stolen her heart.

Finnick may be playing these games to protect her, but Seraphina was playing everyone else to save him.

But now he had thrown that all away. She was sure President Snow would have something planned for them now, anything to distract the Capitol from the brewing love affair that had boiled to a head.

It was impossible for her to get inside of his head. She couldn't have guessed Finnick's true reason for his confession.

Before Peeta could continue, the sound of the arena's fallen tributes appeared in the sky. Cashmere, Gloss, Mags and Wiress each appeared, striking a nerve in the groups as they awaited. Seraphina could feel her heart sink slightly at the confirmation that Atticus Maverick was, in fact, still alive, and out there.

She could feel eyes on her, but chose to ignore them, simply walking on ahead to the large tree. The group began to help Beetee wrap his coil around the large tree precisely.

Finally, he broke the silence. "Typically, a lightning strike contains 5 billions jolts of energy, we don't want to be anywhere near here when this hits." He then took the wrap of wire that folded out and handed it to the Everdeen girl. "You 3 girls go together, take this. Unspool it carefully, make sure the entire coil is in the water, you understand?"

Seraphina glanced to Joanna in slight confusion, who mirrored it before turning back to the man as he continued. "Then head to the tree at the 2:00 sector. We'll meet you there."

Peeta, clearly reluctant to leave his fiancé, spoke up. "I'm gonna go with them as a guard."

"No, no, no, you're staying here to protect me," the man from 3 was quick to jump in. "And the tree."