Gathering Witnesses

The Volturi accepted Bella's new status, so our only problem was the twins I mean they have grown so much in a short period that, while they are only two and a half months old Renesmee looks like she is six and EJ looks four. The Triplets are very much growing as humans but they're a little small for their age. They should be about 12-14 pounds, but Peyton is 9 pounds, Quinn is 9.2 pounds, and Jax is only 7 pounds. Everyone was in the living room, Bella and Edward were with Renesmee at the piano as he was teaching his daughter how to play. I sat curled up on the couch with Carlisle, both Jax and EJ asleep on my chest, Rosalie had Quinn and Jasper had Peyton. Alice was carrying a vase of flowers, when she dropped them, startling the two babies that were awake. Jasper rushed to her side and said, "What is it, Alice?" she took Peyton from him and hugged him close as she said "The Volturi. They're coming for us. Aro, Caius, Marcus, the Guard. And Irina." I hugged the boys closer to my chest as Bella said "Honey, come here. Where's?" I said, "I have him Bell." Carlisle said "Why?" 

Edward said, "What did Irina see in the woods?" Bella said, "We were just walking." Jake said, "Ness was catching snowflakes and EJ was playing on the snow." Edward said "Of course. Irina thinks they're immortal Children." I said, "And that is?" Carlisle us all to his study, while the five children stayed in the triplet's nursery. Carlisle said "The immortal Children were very beautiful. So enchanting. To be near them was to love them. But their development was frozen at the age they were turned. They couldn't be taught or restrained. A single tantrum could destroy an entire village. Humans heard about the devastation. Stories spread. The Volturi were forced to intervene. Since the Children couldn't protect our secret, they had to be destroyed. Their creators grew very attached and fought to protect them. Long-established covens were torn apart. Countless humans slaughtered. Traditions, friends, even families. Lost." Bella said, "So the Denali's mother made an immortal Child?"

Carlisle said "Yes. And she paid the price." Bella said "Well, Renesmee and EJ's nothing like those children. They were born, not bitten. They grow every single day." Jake said, "So can't you just explain that to the Volturi?" Edward said "Aro has enough proof in Irina's thoughts." Jake said, "So we fight." Jasper said "Their offensive weapons are too powerful. No one can stand against Jane." Alice said, "Alec's even worse." I said "Well, then we convince them." Emmett said, "They're coming to kill us, not to talk." Edward said "No, you're right. They won't listen to us. But maybe others can convince them. Carlisle, you have friends all around the world." Carlisle said, "I won't ask them to fight." Edward said "Not fight. Witness. If enough people knew the truth, maybe we could convince the Volturi to listen." I turned to Carlisle and said "Carlisle please, they don't have to agree but can't we just ask them? For me?" he caved and said "Alright, get the kids ready to go." Bella and I headed into the nursery, and she hugged me "Thank you so much, I don't know if he would have agreed had you not said anything." I said, "He would have, the Volturi coming for your kids is one step closer to them being near his kids and his kids and he wouldn't let that happen." 

Jake said "All right. Let's get this show on the road." we saw Sam walking up, so we headed outside. Sam handed Carlisle a note and said "Alice asked me to give you that. She and Jasper crossed our lands to the ocean last night." I said "Carlisle?" he said "They've left us." Rosalie said "Why?" Carlisle said, "She didn't say." Bella said, "Can I see that?" he gave her the note, Carlisle said "Mads..." I said "What are you gonna do? They're grown adults, we have children to worry about right now." I headed inside and Emmett said, "What's up with her?" Carlisle said "I think this year has taken a toll on her, and she's trying her best to hold it in." The triplets were strapped into their car seats, ready to go when Bella said, "Hey Mads, I had a crazy idea." I said "Ok." she closed my door and said, "How about Edward and I keep the babies so you and Carlisle can go on this trip alone?" I said, "Gathering witnesses isn't exactly a romantic getaway, but if you want to keep your niece and nephews by all means go for it." I kissed my babies goodbye before I left.