Chapter 02. | Truth Be Told

HAYLEIGH

I don't think I've ever gone through a class that was such a blur. My mind feels like a deep grey of haze, trying to navigate through it is pointless. It's like navigating through a smoke machine that has been pounding too much at a party.

"– Hayleigh?"

"Hmm?" I realize I've been standing frozen for two minutes, my hands still haven't reached the handle of my locker.

"What's going on? You're distant," Matty murmurs, hands reaching up to dial the digit code to his locker. He switches out his math books with English and gives me a concerned stare.

Being distant is an understatement. For a second I felt I was on a different continental island.

"Is it about..." He pauses unsure about finishing his question. He scans the hallway for potential listeners, his eyes sending hints of a certain football idiot with respectful issues.

I nod in agreement and bite down on my bottom lip. I finally thaw from my spot and switch out my books. It's only been one class and I'm already exhausted – and it was only a formal information class about math.

The real rodeo starts on Wednesday. Attending Advanced Math three times a week will be the slow death of me.

He smacks his locker shut to lean against it. "Enlighten me."

My eyes fall on Mr. Reid coming out of our classroom, talking with Mrs. Harris. His golden energy radiates down the hallway, I almost feel a streak of sunshine smack in my direction.

"Earth to Hayleigh?"

"Yes," My eyes shut in embarrassment at just how loud my voice was. Whatever secret toll Mr. Reid has on me it needs to stop.

"You were saying?" Matty snaps me back into reality by poking my arm. I suck in a deep breath and rub my temples, wishing I never left the bed this morning.

Jake Ross' party. Dylan trying to harass me. Mystery Tall Guy showing up on the porch and knocking him out.

Mr. Reid showing up and knocking him out.

Oh my god.

"Not here," I wrap my arm around Matty's, a disappointing groan vibrating through him. We walk past Mr. Reid and a group of new internship teachers, our eyes meeting for a brief moment.

"Lunch is waiting."

The cafeteria is one of the best places at Annandale High.

Large floor-to-window ceilings corner the entire hall with a view of the football field and trees, long rectangular laminate tables fill the entire ground floor and a little stage is placed next to the kitchen buffet.

After filling our trays with food we find our usual table. Today, the table is accompanied by the cheerleading squad. They usually sit by the football team but somehow they have been kicked off theirs.

Matty waves a sprinkle of salt over his salad and clears his throat for my attention, "Is it finally time you tell me why Dylan Williams was knocked out on the porch like a little child sleeping?"

My chair squeaks at my shifting position. My hands feel sweaty as I rub them against each other out of nervous habit. I am just about to open my mouth when I'm interrupted by a group of deep girlish laughter.

"Did you see the new internship math teacher? I swear to god, he is sex on a fucking stick," Brittany, cheer captain of the cheerleaders yells in excitement. She pushes her dark hair away from her face and her smirk grows by the reaction she is getting from the other girls.