Chapter 27. | Raspberry Shirley

HAYLEIGH

"Movie night? Really?" Audrey tosses the silver mixing bowl into the sink filled with soapy water. "That's what you're doing on a Friday night? Succumbing to the couch potatoes?"

Matty throws a linen kitchen towel over his shoulder. "You couldn't be judging us more, could you?"

"That depends," She shrugs, reaching for the pink sponge next to the sink. "What kind of movie are you watching?"

"50 First Dates," Matty's emerald eyes judge me from afar like I'm the one with terrible movie taste. If I hadn't stood my ground about watching a rom-com tonight, we would be watching Back to the Future for the seventh time.

Audrey snorts in disgust like we've offered her a plate of steamed Brussels sprouts. "Ugh, I hate Adam Sandler. His face reminds me of an egg. Seriously, can't we go out and do something fun? Maybe drink a glass of wine at Bondi?"

"You can drink wine and watch the movie with us," I remark, tearing plastic wrap from the cutting edge of the box. "Win-win for everyone."

"No," she whines, her head tilting back with frustration, hands slowly suffocating the poor sponge. "Dylan, please convince plain Jane and Joe that we should be doing something fun tonight. Not sitting on a couch watching a boring anti-romantic movie about a man not respecting a woman's constant rejections despite her memory getting reset to zero every night."

That's certainly another way to interpret the movie, but I keep the comment to myself, peeking at Dylan instead. He's standing behind the baking trolley filled with rolled-out cookie dough, using the wrap I gave him to cover the last baking tray.

"Well..." His whisky-brown ignores my discreet, but frantic, gestures of cutting my throat with my hand through the empire of raw dough. "Dami turned twenty-one this week. He's having a birthday party tonight. You could join if you want – it's close to campus."

There is no need to specify which type of campus. Every student who has stepped foot inside Annandale High has heard about Damian Williams and knows he is studying for a business degree at the University of Sydney. Damian holds the record for most goals and assists during a season at Annandale, a true soccer legend, and Dylan has been walking in his shadow ever since he graduated.

I haven't seen Damian since the day before he left for university, where he secretly smoked weed in the garage to calm his playing soccer at college-level nerves.

"Really, Dylan?" I press my hands to my hips firmly, a hint of grudge in my voice as I eye him through the silver trays. "You really had to join today's CC?"

"I thought you appreciated my presence and helping hands, Blakely."

I bite my cheek as I watch his significant, self-assured, smile wash over his face. I continue eyeing him with judgment, but honestly, I'm grateful for Dylan helping us today. When he walked past the classroom kitchen and saw that we were low on bakers and overloaded on chopping chocolate chips, he put on an apron and offered his help with a salute.

I had my doubts about him, but it turns out, Dylan is a terrific baker. He understands the aspects of chocolate tempering I still haven't mastered. When I do, though, I'll be standing in one of the front stations as a participant in The Great Australian Bake Off.

Unlike Audrey, I don't mind the Australian version.

"Oh my god, yes!" Audrey's resounding voice rattles the glassware cabinets. "A birthday party! That's exactly what we're doing. I've been craving a good party for weeks and a college one? Hello, older meat."