Chapter 28. | Intoxicated

ALEXANDER

I lean my forehead against the top of the steering wheel, listening to the low humming of the engine running in the background. It's been quite a while since I've felt like this, all wrapped in fresh confidence.

I've done sound monitoring for many musicals over the past semesters, confidently enough to say that sometimes things don't go as planned, whether it's a microphone beeping or someone forgetting their line.

But none of that happened tonight. Everything went smoothly, close to perfect, and I'm not just saying it because I played the lead guitar. My fingers feel both numb and alive, the tips slightly tender and raw, but nothing beats the roaring adrenaline pumping through my veins.

I've performed numerous times throughout my life, both as a soloist and in bands, and regardless of the crowd size, the feeling remains the same. A euphoric rush that's hard to let go of. The cheers, the blinding stage lights, the electric energy of the crowd—it's all so intoxicating in the best way possible.

I didn't realize how much I missed it, and how wholesome it makes me feel. I wasn't much into sports growing up, not because of physical disadvantages or laziness, but because music spoke to me on another level. 

It will always be my sweet escape.

My phone has been tucked away the entire evening, and my brows rise when I'm met with over ten unread messages.

Messenger
TAYLOR SWIFT'S SQUAD

MARCO COLTON
Reid, are we seeing your gorgeous ass tonight?

TRISTAN HOLDEN
He said he'd consider it. In Reid's world, that's 50/50

ASHER IAN
Tris, where are you? We're playing bp in a sec.

MARCO COLTON
Probably digging himself into some Italian olives.

TRISTAN HOLDEN
You seriously need to stop with the Natalie jokes. I'd rather jack my glorious dick through a grater than bury it inside her.

TRISTAN HOLDEN
I'm coming in a sec. There's blue shit all over my hands.

MARCO COLTONReiiidddd, come on! I know the third act is done in ten. There's no excuse, brother. I'm planning on beating Asher's ass in bp and you have to see it. I'll get Asher to carry you.

TRISTAN HOLDEN

Kinda like when he carried you into the ER like a sack of potatoes?

ASHER IAN
Why do I always have to be the one doing the dirty work?

MARCO COLTON
I wasn't even that drunk.

TRISTAN HOLDEN
You thought the tube was an act of foreplay.

ASHER IAN
Still feel sorry for the nurse.

MARCO COLTON
Her name was Caroline and she was wonderful. I regret never asking her out.

TRISTAN HOLDEN
I think that's perfectly fine considering you barfed all over her shoes.

ASHER IAN
Find yourself a bp partner instead. I'm setting up the cups.

MARCO COLTON
Fucking fine.

MARCO COLTON
I've found her. She's the perfect one. Prepare to get your ass beaten.

The last message was sent almost half an hour ago, meaning Marco must be in the middle of one of his conquest rituals by now. He's oblivious, thinking none of us have noticed his patterns when it comes to flirting, but he acts like an open book.