The Changing of Seasons

Akin to the day before, WX knelt in front of a pile of dirt, Jimmy floating beside them.

After the limestone and other essentials have been incorporated into the dirt, all they had to do now was wait for any substantial change in the matter. Wormwood, now knowing what they were all about, patiently waited for today's results, not anticipating much of a change.

As Jimmy popped out the data, WX read it throughout. "HUH..." They hummed, sounding quite surprised.

Wormwood, unsure what that 'huh' meant, came to ask " What's wrong...? Is...Is it still bad..? "

The bot turned around to face him, an unnaturally bright expression painting their features, although unseen by the plantling. "NO, ACTUALLY IT SIGNIFICANTLY IMPROVED OVER JUST ONE NIGHT, I CAN'T BELIEVE IT, I WAS SURE WE'D HAVE TO WAIT AT LEAST FOUR DAYS OR MORE."

They couldn't believe they felt actually proud of accomplishing something agriculture related... Oh, how low they've let themself fall because of him.

Wormwood appeared bemused, yet at the same time incredulous.

-" What..? Is...Is that true... ? "

-"HERE YOU GO AGAIN, DOUBTING MY SKILLS..."

-" sorry, but...How did it improve...? "

The smile returned to the automaton's features, as they stated. "IT WENT FROM PH 2 TO PH 4.5 OVERNIGHT! WHILE THE IDEAL BALANCE OF ACIDITY AND ALKALINITY FOR EFFICIENT GROWTH OF MOST PLANTS IS APPROXIMATELY BETWEEN 5.5 TO 6.5 PH, I CAN SAFELY SAY, THAT WE MAY START PLANTING SEEDS IN EVERY AREA WE'VE PURIFIED THUS FAR, TODAY."

The plantling gaped at them, silent, as they went on. "OBVIOUSLY WE STILL HAVE A LOT MORE TO DO, WE HAVE TO OBTAIN SUNLIGHT, START UP COMPOST FOR REGULAR NUTRIENT INTAKE AND...ACQUIRE WATER...BUT IF NOTHING GOES WRONG, YOUR GARDEN SHOULD BE UP AND RUNNING WITH LIFE IN...MAYBE 2-3 WEEKS?"

Before the bot could continue their excited monologue, they were startled by Wormwood, who spontaneously grabbed them. Their system had practically no time to react, whether or not should they defend themself. They were pulled up into a tight embrace. Flabbergasted, they weren't sure how to proceed, they just let this creature supposedly hug them or choke them to death. With this beast, either was plausible.

When he finally pulled back, with them still awkwardly sitting on his arms, WX could see the wide grin he had. Normally, they'd probably try to look away, disgusted by this creature's visage, however, for some reason, today they found themself smiling back, even if just slightly...

-" You're amazing! I...I don't think...ever got this far...Usually everything just...wilted under my touch...even before...But you...already...You're making it so easy ...You weren't lying about your talent! "

WX felt their face turn inordinately hot, they were forced to look away from him after all, though for a much different reason than usual. They didn't know what this feeling was, it was similar to humiliation, yet not exactly...But they were sure, they didn't enjoy it one bit.

They needed to get down, they were too uncomfortably close to him.

-"W-WHATEVER. I KNOW I'M GREAT, BUT LET ME GO ALREADY!"

He did so, thankfully. They quickly jumped away from him as if his touch was about to melt them alive...And frankly, it was just about to do that.

-"HOW ABOUT YOU NEVER DO THAT AGAIN?"

Wormwood frowned, but didn't say anything in protest.

-"A-ANYWAY. DO YOU HAVE ANY SEEDS WHICH WE COULD IMMEDIATELY PLANT?" They continued, at once changing the subject to move on from this mortifying experience.