Chapter Sixteen - It's A Secret

Emily's POV:

It's been just over 2 months since Michelle showed up again. She still talks about Stephanie a lot but not as much as she used to. I think she's finally accepting the fact that Stephanie has moved on. Michelle has been a great help at the studio and today I asked her if she wanted to become co-studio heads with me, just like old times when we were co-captains. Every night after we locked up the studio we went to Michelle's favourite coffee place. We would sit in there for hours, having conversations like we did when we were young. I would begin to be happy but then she would bring up Stephanie. It always seemed to be in that coffee shop. Anywhere else she didn't even acknowledge she exists.

We walked into the coffee place and Michelle sat down. "Order me my usual please?" She asks and I nod.

After being served I sit down with her.

Michelle's POV:

"Okay so as co-studio head I've been thinking... maybe it's time I done some more paperwork. You're always doing it." I say to Emily.

"Don't be silly. I enjoy doing paperwork and you're better with the kids anyway." She says smiling.

Gosh, that smile...

It reminded me of the time we spent together when we were kids, before I left her...

I regret doing that. I really do. But that choice made me meet Stephanie so it was definitely the right choice. Even if Stephanie doesn't like me anymore... I still like her.

We sat there in silence drinking our coffee. I didn't like silence. It made me feel awful.

"So uh... even though I've been here 2 months I still don't really know what you've done while I've been away so..." I say, trying to stop the awkward tension.

"Umm... nothing much. I stayed on until Nationals and then I kind of went to college and ended up here." She says.

"No... I mean... your personal life... like what have you actually been doing. Remember you tolde abut your crush? Who is it?" I say.

"Oh uh... I can't say. That's something I really can't share." She says, looking down.

I take her hands. "Em... you can tell me. We're friends, right?"

"Yeah... and that's why I can't tell you." She says.

"W-what?" I ask, confused.

"If I tell you... it might ruin our friendship. And I don't want that. We just got it back." She says, tearing up.

"Em?"  I say, caressing her hands.

She begins to cry. "It's y-you Michelle. It's you."

I look her in the eyes. "After all these years?" I ask her.

My heart was pounding. I was happy, I guess but... I didn't like her back... my heart belongs to Stephanie.

She nods before running out of the coffee shop.

"Em-" I try to stop her, but it's too late.

Why did I try and stop her? That should've been much more awkward...