number fourteen

One week later.

I received an email on my phone reminding me of the ticket to Barney's wrestling match that Az purchased online just for me.

It's today, by the way.

His match starts at 7pm, and it's 6:00 right now.

Sitting at my drawing desk, I look down at my attire.
A sad gray jacket.
Whatever. Nobody cares what I'll be wearing!

Az informed me not too long ago that Barney's matches are always loaded with people since he's a human, and that's a sight you rarely see down here. Not only that, but he's said to have defeated all of the demons in the wrestling league ever since he won his tryout match. Isn't that crazy?

I might as well head there right now so I won't have to wait in line.

I teleport to the venue with haste, and in front of me is a lengthy line.

Ugh. So much for not having to wait.

The line moves up ever so slightly, and it feels like it'll be an eternity before I ever reach the front of the line.

***

I eventually reach the front of the line and show the Ticketmaster my ticket + my backstage pass.

He nods and grants me access backstage.

The venue is packed with demons at every corner, and it's as overwhelming as ever.

I prance into the backstage area, excited to say hi to my darling boyfriend, where it's pretty much empty since I guess not many people have backstage passes.

I walk up to Asmodeus's dressing room. The door is cracked open, but there's not a single soul in there.

"...Oh, well, duh, this is Barney's match. He's probably helping him get ready," I mutter to myself quietly.

Barney's dressing room is just two rooms up from his.

The door is a bright pink, with a star on it saying 'Barney' and a paper taped under it that reads, 'living human'.

Barney's voice can be heard behind the door.

"It's not like I was gonna hide from him forever! God, he's so—"

"Elsewhere! Relax, in 10 minutes you'll be in front of your adoring public!" Az's raspy voice assures. I knew it as well as my own.

I sneakily peer through a crack in the door and cast an invisibility spell on me so my presence will be a surprise for them once I reveal myself (it's one of those doors with no handles that you push open by the way).

From there I can see Barney stressing out, also with newly dyed pink hair. He's in his wrestling uniform which is a one-piece outfit with bones and organs depicted on it to exaggerate the fact that he's a human and that he's... living.

My boyfriend is sitting on the couch that's laid against the wall. Az has his hair slicked back fancily. He's holding a golden, shimmering cape with a skull on it, presumably for Barney, also wearing a white, short-sleeve button up with a black bow tie himself for the occasion.

I continue to spy on them attentively.

"But—"

"Barney! Focus!"
Asmodeus gets up from the couch and walks up and wraps the cape over him. God, he's so sweet. He mentioned at some point that he had been sewing something especially for Barney, and it was heartwarming to see it in person.

"Y'know, my dad always says that in the ring, you're not fighting your opponent, you're fighting yourself. You're fighting that voice telling you not to get back up, not to throw one more punch. And that voice is very loud right now!" Az encourages.