Chapter 34

The bell finally rang, letting me know I'd survived another week of school, that the dance was approaching, and that I was nowhere close to finding a date. I was convinced more than ever that I was doomed to walk the earth dateless. Okay...maybe that was stretching it a bit. 

"Bitch, have you decided about the party tonight?" Chloe asked, walking up to my locker. 

I paused, turned, and looked at her. "Wow..." I stared at her for a few minutes, waiting for an apology. Then again, I'd still be here waiting while she graduated and went off to college. My mouth twisted at the thought. Party was the last place I wanted to go tonight, or any night for that matter. Parties and I didn't mix, and bad things happened at them. 

"Well..." Her fingers tapped the phone screen. "Am I picking you up or what?" She glanced up at me, then returned her focus to whoever she was texting. I stood there for a second, staring at her, debating whether I should answer or just walk away, leaving her guessing. Walking away was sounding pretty good right now. "Gem..." She pressed her lips together and pressed the power button on the side of her phone. "You're going whether you like it or not." She slid her phone down in her purse. "Either you can go quietly, or I can take you kicking and screaming. It's your choice." She crossed her arms, shifting her weight onto her left leg. 

My eyes widened, brows raised. "Kicking and screaming? Really..." I closed my locker door. She knew I could take her if it came down to a fight. I would never get into a catfight with my best friend, but tonight might change all that. I had no desire whatsoever to go to that party because I just knew something was going to happen. I was tired of guys ditching me. Chloe, Ava, and Sarah had no idea how that felt, so there was no point in explaining it to them. They all had boyfriends, even though I wished Ava would break up with Caleb. "Fine. What time should I be ready by?" I sighed, stepping away from my locker. 

"Thought so." She smiled with an I told you so gleam in her eyes. "I'll be there around five to help you get ready. Will your mom be there?" She asked as we strolled down the semi-empty hall. I shrugged, still debating if I should be mad at Chloe for bullying me into going tonight. She was talking away about tonight and getting ready, but I was too mad to pay attention to what she said. Then again, did I truly have a choice in the matter? "I'll be there at five. Text me if your mom's going to be there or not. See ya later. Love!" She hollered, waving her hand as she walked off toward her car, leaving me to sulk about having to go tonight. 

                                                                                          *****

Mom's car was in the driveway close to the sidewalk, meaning she'd leave soon. I grabbed my stuff and headed toward the front steps. I was inches away from the door when I heard the roar of Ashton's engine speeding down the road. I could hurry up and run into the house or stay out here and prolong having to deal with my mom. When I decided to go inside, I heard his engine quiet down; I clutched the straps of my bag and turned around, waiting for Ashton to exit his car. He probably had to text his demonic girlfriend. I rolled my eyes at the thought of her name. Just as I reached for the door to go in, Ashton called after me. I stared at the doorknob, disgusted with myself that I should've gone inside while he was texting Satan's mistress. He jogged through our yards and up my steps. 

I leaned to the side, looking out toward the street. "How long do I have before she-devil arrives?" My eyes widened as each car passed our houses. 

Ashton pressed his lips together, nodding his head. "Funny." His eyes narrowed. "She's not coming over. She's out with her friends." 

"Friends? Is that what you call her circle?" My nose wrinkled up in disgust. 

"Uh...Yeah. What would you call them? Don't answer that." He rolled his eyes, looking out toward the road. A small giggle escaped my lips at his disapproving glare. I covered my mouth with my hand, hoping it would muffle my giggles better. He turned his head toward me. "Are you going to the party tonight?" He glanced over at his house. 

"Yeah, not by choice." 

"Chloe forcing you to go?" He chuckled at my annoyance. 

"Yes." I sighed, shifting my weight. "Are you and your girlfriend going to make an appearance?" I tried to keep a straight face so he wouldn't accuse me of anything. 

"Yeah. Hey, I heard Rhys is going to be there tonight. So, what's the story with you two?" He winked. 

My eyes narrowed at his implication. "Nothing." 

"I know you still want a date for the dance coming up. He's not like Jude or Noah. From what I've seen and heard, he seems to be an okay guy. Maybe you should think about going after him." He turned and was down the steps before I could say something to him. He was good at doing that shit to me, making a valid point, then walking away before I could dispute it. I stood there and watched him walk across our yards and jog up the steps to his house, waiting for him to give me one of his little crooked smiles. He opened the door to his house and walked in without glancing back over at me. I turned around, sighed, and opened the door. Mom was already upstairs getting ready for wherever she was going tonight. I tossed my book bag into the chair by the stairs and walked to the kitchen for some grapes and cheese. 

"Gemma! Is that you?" Mom hollered through the house. 

"Who else would it be?" I mumbled while I stuck my head in the fridge, shuffling food around and looking for the grapes. "Yes!" I closed the door. 

"How was your day?" 

"Shit!" I fumbled the bag of grapes in my hands. "You scared me." I set the bag on the counter close to the cheese cubes. 

She giggled. "Sorry. I didn't mean to scare you." She laughed, reaching for the bag of grapes on the counter. "What are you going to do tonight?" She opened the bag. 

I grabbed the bag of cheese cubes, debating whether to lie or go ahead and tell her the truth. Against my better judgment, I told her I was heading to a party tonight with Chloe, Ava, Sarah, and their boyfriends. And right then is when I wished I'd lied to her. She peeked at me, popping a grape in her mouth, and asked me why I was invading my friends and their boyfriends. 

Before I could stop myself. "If you must know, Chloe asked me to go!" I stormed out of the kitchen, grabbing my book bag on the way up to my room. I tossed my bag onto my bed and closed my door partway. She wondered why I never told her anything. And the list just got longer. I didn't have to worry about her coming to apologize either because, in her eyes, she never said anything wrong. Sometimes, I wondered who the child and the adult were. I felt more like an adult here lately. I never said anything about the fact she was my mother, that she needed to start acting like it, and that the things she implied hurt my feelings. She'd still be clueless if I tried explaining it to her. 

"Gemma, I'll be home late." Mom hollered from downstairs. I rolled my eyes, pushing my bag to the opposite side of my bed. After her comment, she didn't deserve a reply. I grabbed my phone and texted Chloe that she could come over now if she wanted to.