Chapter 10

If you like this story, please consider giving it a vote. Thanks! Amber

I woke up the next morning, already panicking about our date. I lay there, staring up at the ceiling, then toward the window at the sun shining through the tiny crack of my curtains. I finally managed to slide my feet out from under my warm comforter and let them dangle over the side of my bed for a few minutes as my toes brushed against the soft fibers of my area rug. Today was going to be different; I just didn't realize how different it would be. I went downstairs to get myself something for breakfast since Mom had already left for the day—no telling where she had gone or when she'd be back. I grabbed a bowl of cereal, went to the living room, curled up on the couch, and found a movie to watch while eating my bowl of raisin bran. 

                                                                                        *****

Chloe and Sarah showed up right on time at one with food and their bags. By some miracle, I got a hold of Chloe the night before to make sure she did my makeup, and Sarah did my hair. They dropped their bags inside the door and proceeded to the kitchen with the food. They were both talking about how they would do my hair and makeup for my date with Jude. All I wanted to do was run to my bedroom and hide under my comforter. 

"Gem, aren't you going to get some fries?" Sarah asked, popping a fry in her mouth. 

"I'm not that hungry." As the knot in my stomach started doing flip-flops. 

"We got you some coffee." Chloe held out my favorite iced latte. There was nothing like sipping on an iced Caramel Mocha latte to make me feel better. 

"Thanks." I sipped on the iced latte and could feel the magical powers of coffee go to work. Finally, I was starting to feel a little calmer. I knew coffee didn't have magical powers, but it sounded good. Coffee was my go-to when I was stressed out, and I'm glad I had friends who understood that. I took my coffee and went into the living room to sit and enjoy it for a few minutes while they got their food. The longer I sat there, the more anxious I got, so I grabbed my latte and yelled I was going outside for a few minutes. I walked to the end of the porch, set my latte on the little table between the chairs, and sat down. The smell of freshly cut grass tickled my nose, causing me to sneeze. I looked across the yard and saw Ashton's sports car still in the driveway. I was surprised he wasn't out at the beach with his buddies. Whenever it got warm, they'd go to the beach on the weekends, where Ashton would return home having to get ready for a date later that night. 

"Don't you have a date to get ready for tonight?" Ashton asked, walking down his porch steps. He had on a tight yellow T-shirt and jeans. 

"Not till later." I raised an eyebrow. "You going to the beach?" 

"Nah. I've got to get gas and condoms for tonight." He smiled. 

"Ew. I don't want to hear about your conquests." 

He unlocked his car and laughed. "Later, Gem." 

"Man-whore." I reached for my latte and took a sip. I sat there a little longer, watching the neighborhood outside and enjoying the sunny, warm weather. The neighbors across the street were mowing their grass and planting flowers. They were a little older than Mom because I never saw any kids around their house. We didn't know much about them; they moved in a few years ago and kept to themselves. If they had kids, they were married and didn't come around much. 

"Gem, are you going to come back inside?" Chloe stuck her head out the front door. 

I grabbed my latte and went back inside to join Chloe and Sarah. However, part of me wanted to stay on the porch and continue watching the neighborhood enjoy the spring day while I sipped on my latte.