Elrond - rejection

Summary: Elrond wants you to leave and experience the world but your love for him stops you. But does he love you?

It was a day like any other in Rivendell. The leaves had just started to shift into vibrant colors and the air was getting colder. You were in Elrond's study as usual, supposed to help him with his work but reading a book instead. You were sort of like an assistant to him.

You were much younger than Elrond and had only worked for him for about 200 years. You had been born and raised in Rivendell in the protection and safety of home, not even a thousand years old. Your parents died when you were little, and you did not really have many friends. Seeking solitude and happiness in your books.

You loved your life. Work with Elrond had slowly turned from strict to just spending time in his study, helping when you could, but most of the time sitting on a chair engrossed in a book or listening to Elrond tell you of all the things he had seen. In turn you told him of the adventures you read about, your eyes filled with light as you talked about the places that marveled you.

There was something truly magical to Elrond in your eyes, you could not hold him to a higher regard. His way of speaking and manner of moving. When you first started working with Elrond he was quiet and brooding towards you, but that had slowly changed as well and he was now sweet and funny.

You knew your feelings ran deep. You felt more and more towards him for each day that passed. So much so that you could not imagine a life where he was not in it, a life where you did not see or talk to him every day. And you believed he was slowly starting to feel the same way.

At first you thought you were stupid to think so, considering your age difference. He had lived a whole life before you, done everything one would want to do in life. But the way he looks at you when you sit curled up on a chair in his study to read a book and thinks you do not notice or the way he laughs at your light spirited nature... You truly believed he had to have feelings for you in return. 

"- and I feel like you sh- Y/N are you listening?"

You did not provide an answer, too focused on the thoughts spinning around your head you hadn't even heard what he was talking about.

"Y/N?" He asked again, his voice soft like the silk robes he wore. You shook your head, coming out of your thoughts and met Elrond's eyes.

"I apologize, I must have zoned out," you told him, cheeks tinting a bit as he gave you an amused smirk. "What was it you were telling me?"

"I believe it is time you leave Rivendell Y/N," Elrond told you kindly.

You almost lost the grip of the book you were holding, your eyes wide and mouth agape. "What? Why would you say that?" Sounding horrified.

He wanted you to leave? You thought he liked having you here... That he had feelings for you.

"Y/N... You are always reading about other people's adventures when you should be out there living your own adventure. There is so much for you to see. You are still young, you should be making memories, not sit day in and day out in an old study with an even older elf. You deserve a chance to see all the places we have spoken of."

You still looked baffled. "But, no! I love my life here, I do not need to leave and have my own adventures, I have everything I need right here in Rivendell!"

Elrond sighed, "why must you be so stubborn? You do not know what you are missing and you will never know until you travel outside our lands. I am doing this for your own good Y/N, you have nothing keeping you here."

"Yes I do! YOU!" You stood from your chair and screamed out before you could even watch your tongue and stop it. You cursed yourself under your breath when you saw the look of pure chock Elrond gave you.