Chapter 6 - Breathing Air

Simon

Later that night, I'm tucking Randy into his new bed and getting him all snuggled up under his blankets. I told Baz earlier that I've always wanted a dog, which wasn't a lie, exactly. I have always wanted one, but I wasn't aware I did until this afternoon. It's like when I realized that I wanted Baz, I just went for it without a second thought, because I knew it was the right thing to do.

Baz is splayed out on my bed and scrolling through his phone absentmindedly. I move to sit next to him, taking in all of his features. His raven black hair is shiny and healthy. It curls slightly just past his jaw. His pale gray skin is smooth and almost iridescent in the light of his phone screen, and the contrast against his thick, dark eyebrows is stark. His nose is long and thin and nearly perfect, except for the slight bend towards the end from when I broke it back at Watford. His pale gray eyes slide over and meet mine, and he raises an eyebrow inquisitively. "What is it, Snow?"

My cheeks warm in embarrassment from being caught staring. "S'nothing," I say, averting my gaze and tugging a hand through my curls in frustration.

"Simon," he says, taking my face between his hands. "Tell me."

"It's just...I.." I blubber.

"Use your words, Snow," he says, but it doesn't come out as snarky as it usually does. My cheeks are burning underneath his cool hands.

"Thank you for caring about me," I say quickly, forcing the words out. "I just don't want you to ever think I take you for granted."

His eyes are intense as they bore into mine. "Don't be ridiculous. You don't need to thank me for that, Simon. As if I could ever... you might as well thank me for breathing air."

I touch my forehead to his and say, "Now you're the one who's being ridiculous."

He pulls my face even closer and kisses me, as if trying to prove something. I melt into the kiss, taking in every inch of him.

The moment is soon interrupted by a high pitched whining which gets louder by the second. I pull away from Baz reluctantly and see Randy propped up against the bed on his hind legs staring daggers at us. He scratches at the duvet making it clear what he wants. I move to bring him up on the bed with us, but Baz stops me.

"Randy has his own bed, and it's really very nice. There's no reason he shouldn't use it."

"But..." I look from Baz to Randy, and the latter is giving me the most desperate puppy dog eyes, and he gives another annoying, high-pitched whine.

"Ugh, fine," Baz says, crossing his arms over his chest and grumbling incoherently. Something about how he shouldn't let me get away with so much.

I heave Randy up onto the bed. He's certainly hefty. The shelter staff told me his previous owner was elderly and couldn't walk him anymore. She also spoiled him with treats, clearly. Randy is starting a diet and a regular exercise regime first thing tomorrow. He manages to burrow himself underneath the blankets and curls up right in the middle of the bed, leaving Baz and I crowded on one side of him.

"You could at least scootch over some," I say, trying to push the big lump over a bit to give us more room. He just grunts in response.

"It's getting late. I should probably head back to Fiona's," Baz says as he sits up and starts putting his shoes on.

"Oh," I frown in response. "Is it because I let Randy on the bed? Because I can kick him off."

"It isn't that. I just have a long day tomorrow. I have to be up early for class, and I have football practice after. I also need to, um, you know," he taps his eye teeth so I understand.

"Maybe you could stay over tomorrow night, then? If you're up for it, I mean," I ask hopefully.

He brushes the hair out of my eyes (I desperately need a haircut. Maybe I'll finally do that tomorrow) and kisses my forehead. "I would love to," he says, then kisses my nose, and then my cheek, and my jaw, and finally my lips. My insides are melted butter by the time he pulls away.

"Good night, Love," he says as he stands to leave. "Sleep well, and," he pauses with one hand on the door knob. "Don't let the dog boss you around too much," he says with half a smile.

"I won't," I say, even though I probably will. "Good night, Baz."

Once he's gone, I curl up under the blankets, and Randy snuggles closer to me. I feel his paws dig into my back, and it's horribly uncomfortable. I doze off peacefully, feeling a sense of wellness. For once, I'm not dwelling on the past or seeking constant distraction. I'm just looking forward to tomorrow.