Challenge-Chapter six

"Then it's too bad that you aren't going to have fun this time. Free, I challenge you to a battle as well. Same rules as just now. I dare you to take out your launcher and put in your best."

Ravlynne slipped through the crowd formed by her clubmates to an arena in the centre of the room. She had deliberately chosen it to make sure that she was in plain sight of everyone. Projecting her voice, she issued the challenge to Free, who paused in the doorway. 

Ravlynne stressed on the word "dare", knowing someone as high-ranking as Free would not be able to resist it. She considered invoking competition standards, but decided against it. With the easier two-point victory and a bit of luck on her side, winning was very possible.

"We have competition."

Fafnir growled at Karaginn, who spread her wings, showing off the razor-sharp tips of her barbed feathers.

"Come and get me, if you can, you oversized lizard."

The raven hissed to Fafnir. She had thought she would have more time to plan their battle, but Ravlynne had challenged Free so suddenly. She would have to make do with the half-formed ideas in her mind.

"......"

Free clutched his bey tightly, unsure of what to reply. Karaginn and Ravlynne would not go down easily. They might match him. Still, the captain of BC Sol craved a match with a worthy opponent. 

The offer of Ravlynne was a rare chance, since skilled bladers rarely challenged others outside of competitions. He was curious too, to find out more about her bey and blading style.

"I...accept."

Free turned and strode to the arena where Ravlynne was standing. He lifted his launcher, aiming it horizontally towards the dish of the arena.

"3..2...1...go shoot!"

Unlike in his previous battle with Valt, Free launched Fafnir using his launcher and full power, veins on his arms bulging slightly. His eyes glowed a bright gold and the rings around his pupils faded to become barely visible. A golden aura surrounded him, blinding everyone in his vicinity.  

"Take this, Fafnir! I'll crush your scaly head and make you regret the day you peeked out of your egg!"

Ravlynne had used her signature Flight launch, launching Karaginn right on top of Fafnir. The bird swooped down onto the enormous dragon, claws outstretched. She managed to tear out a claw-full of scales, exposing tender pink flesh within. Fafnir gave a huge wallop with his wings, but Karaginn nimbly dodged them.

"One: I did not hatch out of an egg."

Fafnir streaked after Karaginn, leaving a golden trail behind him. He was enjoying the match more that he let on. The raven was the first opponent who had given him a run for his money in a long while.

"Two: I'd scorch all of your feathers off before you could even touch one of my scales."

Fafnir breathed out a column of fire, which licked at Karaginn's long tail feathers. She yanked them out of danger in the nick of time.

"And three: You seem rather cute when you're mad."

The male dragon grinned at his opponent, even giving her a flirtatious wink.

"You DID NOT just say that. Because if you just did, your bey is going to be smashed into very small pieces in seconds."

Karaginn's eyes flashed and she whipped around unexpectedly.