Snake eyes-Chapter nineteen

Free's eyes widened. In the afternoon light, there were flecks of gold scattered within the thin grey ring. They were beautiful.

"Snakes' eyes are gold, Ravlynne."

Karaginn glanced over at the (still) sleeping Fafnir. The dragon was curled up beside his owner, leathery wings folded on his back.

He looked pretty harmless with his claws sheathed and legs folded, huge head resting on them, but that didn't mean she trusted him yet.

"And lizards'."

The raven added, just for good measure. Fafnir was considered a distant cousin of lizards, at least. Ravlynne continued.

"Kurenai's likely headed there."

"How do you know this?"

"Because she has psychic powers, my dear blader."

Fafnir opened one eye, a slight smile on his snout. Karaginn stepped on his tail savagely, earning a well-aimed breath of fire that she barely dodged.

"He called me, before leaving for Mexico. I would assume you know that their headquarters are in Mexico."

Ravlynne had to weigh her words carefully, between telling Free just enough to keep him interested and risking revealing too much.

"Dunno. Maybe he wants to go on a vacation and he asked you to tag along." (salty boi lol)

The girl didn't know if she was supposed to laugh at that. There was a reason her father had chosen Mexico for his headquarters of a rather shady organisation.

"Mexico has one of the highest risks of assault, armed robbery and kidnapping. Parts of the country are under complete control of drug cartels, Free."

Free smiled. His golden eyes bent into flashing crescents. She was pretty funny when she was being serious.

"I was joking."

Ravlynne sighed. Leave it to the Golden Boy to crack a joke when she was talking about Theodore's illegal training centre.

"Are you going to tell Valt?"

That question, however, was sincere. Ravlynne half-hoped Valt would pop up behind Free, in his adorable chibi way, and chirp "Tell me what?". She didn't know how to answer.

The boy was still way too young to see his best friend get dragged off to an illegal torture centre. The knowledge that her father ran the Snake Pit, that it had been his brainchild had ruined Ravlynne's childhood.

The more she found out about what he actually did for a living, the more she couldn't stand to look at his sick face. And the worst thing was that she could see his reasoning, see the gears of his brain turn and lead him to setting up the Snake Pit like it was her own.

The ultimate goal of the organisation was to create the perfect bey, and to do that they needed to test the beys of different bladers, thus the need to constantly travel the globe to recruit members.

Beys were either produced by good, legal research facilities or designed and 3D-printed by bladers themselves-but Theodore wanted to change that.

If he could produce the perfect bey, everyone would flock to him. He could mass-manufacture it. Milk the industry like beyblade was a fucking cow and bladers were just consumers to be exploited. He would make big bucks.

Ravlynne hated that sometimes that made perfect sense to her, in a cold calculative way. Beyblade was a booming business. All the kids wanted the best bey.

It was just too easy to take advantage of that, but it felt wrong if you were a blader yourself and you had a bey spirit 24-7 inside your head. Beyblade was more than just pieces of plastic and metal to profit off.