(:20:)

renaissance girl - alybob

<><><>

After a quick stop by the flower stand to pick up a bouquet, I am now standing on the front porch of Emery and Danny's shared house. With the bouquet in hand, I rap on their door.

After a couple seconds the door opens wide and I am face to face with Danny. He turns back into the house and yells "EM, YOUR GIRLFRIEND IS HERE!" I laugh and he turns back to me. "I have a couple rules for you before you take my little girl out."

I can tell he's doing a bit but he's really playing the protective dad role very well

"One, you will bring her back before her curfew. ONE minute late and you will never see her again." I try to keep a straight face, "Two, no funny business, if I find you you tried something with her I will personally rip-"

"Danny shut the fuck up" I hear emery say from behind him. They just lift their hands up and leaves the door into a different room. It is only now that I can see how beautiful Emery looks.

Her light brown hair was curled slightly, and her blue eyes pop out against her freckled face. She is wearing a beautiful yellow cottage core dress with small pink and orange flowers on it. There is a slit showing her left calf. She's wearing black Mary Jane Doc Martens with ruffley white socks underneath.

It's safe to say I'm absolutely speechless. "Hi" she says timidly.

"Hi," I respond. After a couple of seconds I start to speak again, "You look- absolutely beautiful."

"Thank you. You look really handsome yourself." She says, making me blush.

"Here, I got these for you." I hand her the bouquet of yellow tulips that match her dress. She smiles at me, accepting the flowers. She lifts them close to her face, taking in their aroma. After a few seconds she pulls them away from her face.

"Danny" She shouts behind her. He walks into the room, "Can you put these in some water for me?" he nods, taking them into what I assume in the kitchen.

Emery turns her attention back to me and I hold my hand out for her to take. She gladly does and walks out the front door, closing it behind her. I walk her to the car and open the door for her.

I get in the car after, and I drive to our first destination. The whole way there, she was holding my hand on the center console.

I park the car in the parking lot of the 'Pitt County Arboretum' and get out of the car, opening the door for Emery. I walk around to the back of the car, grabbing out a picnic basket

"You planned a picnic for me?" She asks with a bright smile on her face. I grab her hand, squeezing it.

"Of course I did. You deserve to be taken on an amazing date and that's what I intend on doing right now." There is a clear blush on her face. I hold out my hand and she takes it. Her other hand wrapping around my bicep.

We walk through the gardens until we find the perfect spot underneath a tree. I lay out the picnic blanket and we sit down and start to chat.

"What do you think their story is?" I ask, referring to the young couple walking on a path in front of us. They had a toddler with them too.

"Young love" she looks over to me. "They had a child really young but are still together. They're strong." I smile at her before looking down at our hands. I reach out and interlace our fingers.

I use my other hand to open up the picnic basket. "Ok so I can't cook" I warn her, "So I just got a lot of snacks, I hope that's ok." I pull out a box of cookies, as well as some crackers and pretzels.

"Robin" I look to her, "I could care less what we do, as long as I'm here with you." I just smile, pulling out the rest of the food that included some snack cheeses and meats and other sweet treats.

We start to eat the snacks as we continue to people watch. After a while we fall into a comfortable silence. That is, before emery gasps so loud i think that she's going to die.

"Are you ok?" I turn to her, worried.

"Yeah I'm fine," She says, slightly laughing, " I just remembered that I need to show you the album!"

"That's right!" I'm really excited for this. Emery lets go of my hand to grab her purse. She unzips it and grabs her phone and a pair of wired headphones. She plugs them into her phone before handing me one of the ear buds. I put it in my right ear and she puts the other one in her left ear.

She turns back to me holding my hand again. "Ok, so I'm going to show you, but you have to promise not to judge too much."

"I promise I won't. But I already know it's going to be fucking amazing." She just laughs and presses play on her phone. As the music plays, we are in complete silence. She starts to play with my fingers in anticipation of what I think.

The first song is slow, but there is a very heavy punk influence to it. There are also some hard drums in the background. All I can do is smile to the girl beside me that I really like.

The song fades out and a new song starts. It Happens one more time before either one of us speaks. "Emery, you are amazing."

She turns away and looks into her lap. "It's not just me, it's the whole band."

"No" I say, reaching over, placing my hand on her jaw, bringing her gaze back to me. "You are amazing." I pause before speaking again, "And I'm not just talking about your music."

The anxious look on her face softens into a fright smile. I quickly take her lips into mine, kissing her passionately. Just like the first time, there are butterflies. I pull away and her lips chase mine. I just place my forehead against hers, rubbing my thumb on her cheek.

"I'm so glad I'm here with you." I tell her before pulling away. I just smile at her as we continue to listen to the rest of the album.

<><><>

Word count: 1114