Chapter 10 - Actions Have Consequences

Chapter Song Rec: Killer by Jack Harlow & Cordae (remix version)

____________________________________

You returned back home that day, the scratches on your hands covered in bandages, with Edeline furiously apologizing in your ear as she drove you back.

"I'm so sorry, this is all my fault, I shouldn't have brought you along, I'm such an idiot-"

"It's okay, Eddy, don't worry about it." You reassured her, giving her a slight smile. "I'm alright. 'Tis but a scratch." you put your hand in front of her face like a princess before pulling it back as she laughed. "Stay safe." she told you, dropping you off before driving away.

You entered the house as quietly as you could, not wanting to deal with your father's questions, or worse, Harry's questions, if he was there. Surprisingly, he wasn't, and your father seemed to be busy in his office room upstairs. As you head towards the bathroom, ready to take a hot shower and cleanse yourself of the horrific sight you'd witnessed earlier, you caught your father saying something that chilled you to the bone.

"What do you mean, it's escaped?"

You stopped in your tracks, looking towards the barely opened door. "How could it have escaped?" you heard him ask again. He sounded terrified. But what was he talking about?

You slowly approached the door, peering inside. Your father was on the phone with who you presumed to be Mr. Osborne himself, his worried expression visible on screen. "There were no alarms set off. No one went in there that day, Ozzy-"

"George, the team I sent in there today said there was no sign of it!" Osborne replied aggressively, throwing his hands up in frustration. "It can't just disappear! It escaped. Somehow."

"But how? It's been abandoned for ages...no scientists' been working in there. God, I doubt we even kept any record of the tank codes-"

A tank code?

You backed away from the door slightly, breathing heavily as the realization spread across your body. You felt as though ice had filled your lungs, like your chest was being compressed and stretched at the same time, your stomach feeling like it had just dropped to the pits of hell.

Spider-Man had asked for a code. To a tank. In an abandoned lab.

You went back towards the door, crouching down and listening intently. "-symbiote could hurt someone."

Symbiote?

"I think someone getting hurt is the least of our worries, George" Osborne replied stiffly. "That thing is worth millions. If it gets out into the open, god knows who'll end up with their hands on it."

"That thing is a weapon, Ozz-"

"It's my weapon. And it'll stay my weapon." Osborne cut the call, leaving your father seeming quite disturbed. You quickly dodged to the side as he head towards the door, not even noticing you while he walked out, muttering under his breath.

You watched him walk down the hall before you entered the room, looking down at the phone your father had just used. In the middle of the screen was a notification from Mr. Osborne, an image attached. You pressed on the image and the phone opened, displaying a video taken from a security tape.

Standing in the middle of the room viewed on the tape, was Spider-man. You watched as he pressed his earbud, calling out "Hello?" You were reminded of how your call had cut out with him earlier this morning.

Your eyes widened. This was the tape from his break-in. Neither of you had accounted for security cameras.

Osborne knew that Spider-man was behind the escape of whatever had been in that tank.