Surprsing Connections

Chapter 3: Surprising Connections

Jason and Reed are at the pub sitting at a table having dinner. The place had a quiet and festive atmosphere, with soft Christmas lights and poinsettias decorating the space, adding to its warmth. Despite its warm atmosphere, Reed was noticeably tense.

Jason stared at him, knowing there was something going on, that he wanted to tell him something, "Have something on your mind?"

Reed stared at his drink for a moment, then looked at Jason, "I...I am seeing him now."

Jason gave him a concerned, confused look. "Seeing who exactly?"

Reed sighed, "Chase."

Jason looked at him, surprised, "Chase? Your son?"

"Yes! He just shows up randomly!"

"Wait, what? How? Like a... ghost or something?" Jason asked.

Reed shrugged, unsure, "He just appears out of nowhere and tells me I am here for a reason."

"What? Here? In North Point?" Jason asked, confused.

Reed nodded slowly as if he were trying to piece things together. "And I think it's connected to a letter I am working on from this kid who is looking for a family." Reed replied, leaving Jason more confused about what to say next, "so, what are you going to do? give him a family?" Jason asked as if this story was getting more ridiculous.

"Maybe? I don't know. All I know is that my son, who died 6 years ago, is now showing up to tell me that I have to find this kid. None of this makes any sense, " Reed replied, feeling flustered.

"I am with you on that." Jason said. "So... how was it to see him?"

Reed was surprised when he noticed Anna walking in with her friend and was momentarily distracted by the sight of her. She always looked so radiant, like she brought in a glow of light with her wherever she went. Jason noticed Reed's distracted state so said, "Look, you don't have to talk about it. I was just curious."

Reed seemed to come back to his friend and said, "Uh... honestly, I'm still not sure. It's a lot to process."

"Yeah, that makes sense."

Anna and Brooke walked in and sat at a table not too far from Reed and Jason. As soon as Anna saw Reed, her heart seemed to have a surprising reaction. She couldn't stop herself from watching him. She wasn't sure what it was about him that made her so drawn to him. He was like a softly glowing candle in a dark room. Her eyes found him, and she felt... safe somehow.

Brooke noticed Anna staring off into space, and when she looked to see Reed, her eyes grew bright at the odds. She looked back to Anna, "Remind me again why you won't ask him out?"

Anna broke out of her trance and said, "What? I certainly don't plan on doing that. I told you I am perfectly happy being alone, especially after you know what happened." Anna said to Brooke in a stern voice.

"But this interesting man has come to town who seems different." Brooke said, trying to convince Anna to at least open herself up to the possibility.

Anna tried not to make it obvious that she was watching him again, while Brooke commented, "The fact that you two keep showing up in the exact same place at the exact same time should tell you something."

At that moment, Reed caught Anna's gaze and looked at her with a half grin. She looked away, pretending to smile at what Brooke said.

"Hello, are you even listening to me?" Brooke waved her hand to get her attention back.