Revelations

Chapter 4: Revelations

Anna took a cart full of books and went in a different direction, overwhelmed by everything going on.

Reed sighed and took the letter up off the counter, and headed out. 

At the shelves of the books Brooke was waiting. "Is everything ok? Why did you bolt from Reed?" Brooke asked.

"He has a kid" Anna said, though that wasn't the only reason. It was just all too much. 

Brooke was taken back, "And that made you run?" 

 "I thought you always wanted kids?" Brooke asked. 

"Well, yeah, my own kids." Anna said.

 "Are you afraid he is married?" Brooke asked.

 "That crossed my mind, but I honestly don't think he is, and he doesn't wear a ring." Anna stated.

"I've seen the way he looks at you and the way you look at him" Brooke stated the obvious.

"I think this is all a big mistake."

Brooke sympathized with her friend but said "I think the only mistake is you running from getting your heart broken, but that could hurt you more than not taking a chance."

********************************************************************************

That night at the church, Anna couldn't stop thinking about all the events that had been happening between her and Reed. They couldn't all be coincidences. 

She needed to find her center. She walked into the church and heard voices.

Reed was kneeling , his eyes blurry, praying - well, trying to - and Chase was sitting on the pew watching him. "I think Anna likes you!" Chase declared with an odd combination of knowing and wonder. 

Reed got up slowly, finding some strange solace in seeing his son. He sat next to him and said. "No she doesn't. She can't wait to get away from me."

"That is because she is afraid." Chase said knowingly. 

"Afraid of what?" Reed asked, really wanting to know what seemed to be holding her back. Even though he didn't really know her, he had a feeling she was quite an adventurous person.

"From loving again." Chase stated, causing Reed to look at him in curiosity and surprise. "What do you know about love?" He asked, thoughtfully, a little amused.

"What I do know is that you loved Mom, and you loved me." 

Reed is taken by his logic and understanding. 

Anna walked over quietly and sat on the opposite side. "Who are you talking to?" she asked curiously, a slight smile crossing her face. 

"I am talking to G-God." Reed stumbled; Anna smirked "Asking God what he knows about love?" Anna asked, having a light teasing tone to her voice.

 "You walked in on a private conversation" Reed snapped at her. That came out much harsher than he intended, but before he could apologize, Anna got up "Ok, I'm sorry. I will leave you to it." She said, trying to mask the hurt she felt.

Honestly, what did she expect? She sort of deserved it for being so elusive and unwilling to help him. He did nothing wrong. 

Anna walked to the back of the church, feeling unsure of herself anymore. Now, she was the one who needed to restore her faith back and to have more trust that everything would work itself out.