A Knack for Solving

Chapter 6: A Knack For Solving

It was a beautiful snowy day in Town Square, the sun out giving a warmth to the cold day. This time Anna was the one waiting for Reed to show up as she was sitting at her favorite bench. For more and more reasons these days.

She smiled when she saw him walking over with a surprised smile. She tried to hide her excitement as she got up, feeling suddenly nervous, but Reed's smile quickly erased that feeling.

"Hey! You're early?! For what, the first time?" Reed said jokingly.

"Yeah, to think. Not to see you or anything." She responded playfully.

"Admit it, you couldn't wait to see me?" Reed said with a smirk on his face.

"I don't think that's it," Anna denied.

He still had a smirk, "I see. You know... all the girls fought over me in high school and college. I am irresistible." He grinned, sporting a sweet smile, tugging at his coat to make emphasis.

"Maybe in your head." Anna said, trying not to laugh.

"But you did show up early to meet me." Reed said, happy that might be the case. He loved seeing her, too. She was so beautiful.

"Yeah, you keep thinking that." she teased. They shared a smile, their eyes locking again, a light flickering between them, making sparks ignite. Anna looked at her watch, trying to dispel the electricity she felt looking at him. "We should be on our way" her voice came out more quiet than she intended.

Reed nodded slowly, wondering if she felt the same sparks and magnetism that he felt whenever he saw her.

They made their way across town and walked into St. Peter's Group Home for Boys. They walked up to the check in counter, and saw Kate.

"Hi, we were wondering, we would like to spend some time with Dylan, if we can." Reed said.

"I am sorry, we typically don't allow that, we don't like them to get too attached to people unless you both are looking to adopt him..."

Anna snuck a nervous glance at Reed, at the implication of them being a couple.

"...or we have special Big Brother programs, but those are usually for other older kids, not adults." Kate added.

"We just want him to know someone cares about him. You can't make an exception just for today? I promise we will stay close to here just for a couple of hours." Reed couldn't give up. He wanted to help Dylan.

"I am truly sorry. My supervisor is not here; I can't do that without her go-ahead. I think it's noble of you to want to help him but I am not sure what you can do for him besides adopting him or being his foster family." Kate said, though she wished there was more she could.

Reed noticed Anna give him a look before she started to walk out. "Well, thank you for your time." He said and followed Anna outside.

"I think I can help you spend time with Dylan." Anna said.

"Really? How? Thank you, that would be incredible if you can make this happen. It means a lot to me." Reed said, feeling hopeful with her help; he was sure it would go a long way.

Anna looked at him thoughtfully, "I can see how much it does"

Later that afternoon, after they went their separate ways, Anna went to the library to see Brooke. She was putting away books, but was quick to notice her as she came over. "Hey, I thought it was your day off. What are you doing here?"

"I need a favor." Anna said, a look of determination in her eyes.

Brooke smirked, "Interesting. Go on."