Window of Hope

Chapter 11: Window of Hope

Reed was at the bridge at the edge of town looking up at the sky imagining his son in heaven. Jason walked over and stood beside him.

"I haven't seen you in a bit, are you ok? Are you still seeing your... you know... ghost son?" Jason asked.

Reed looked sad as he replied, "Yeah."

Jason raised his eyebrow in confusion, "Isn't that a good thing?"

"No, because when he leaves he will really be gone. I'm not ready for

that." Reed said, trying not to fall apart all over again.

Jason placed his hand on his shoulder, "So , did you get to go on that hike with Dylan and Anna? How was it?"

"Yah, we spent nearly the whole day together. It was amazing and I was really happy! And Dylan is a great kid." His words and tone were contradicting as he sounded upset.

Jason looked at him confused, "What's the problem? Why do you sound so upset?"

"The problem is he needs a family! And I don't know how I'm going to make that happen by Christmas!" Reed stated as he started pacing.

"By Christmas? That's right around the corner." Jason responded.

"Exactly!"" Reed placed his hands in his pockets while he continued walking up and down the bridge path beside Jason. "The thing is, the more time I spend with him the more I know I need to make his wish come true."

"You're getting close to him?" Jason suggested, but with a little concern.

Reed finally stopped pacing and said, "He is not the only one I'm getting close to. I think I'm falling for Anna. Maybe from the moment I met her. She is really amazing. We've become friends, but the more I spend time with her..."

"The more you like her, too." Jason continued. "Look, I get it and I'm really happy for you to have a friend in her and that you've spent time with Dylan and want to help him, and you seem to be in a good place, but just be careful. I don't want to see you getting hurt." Jason confessed in concern.

"I appreciate you looking out for me."

"I'll see you later. Just wanted to make sure you're good. Let me know if you need anything."

Reed nodded, and Jason patted his arm as he left. Reed looked out across the bridge and wondered what he was going to do now that he was falling in love with Anna, and how he was going to help Dylan find his family.

****************************************************************

Dylan walked into the library, grabbed a couple of books and found his favorite table. When he placed down his backpack he saw Anna come over with a friendly smile. "Hey Dylan. Nice to see you stop in."

Dylan smiled, "Yeah, thanks. It's been a little bit."

Anna smiled, then looked at her watch, noticing the time. "Hey, I get out of here in about an hour. What do you say we go get hot chocolates and hang out at the park for a while, then I can drop you home?"

Dylan nodded "Yeah, sure, that would be fun. Thanks Anna."

Anna smirked, "Ok. Meet you by the doors in promptly one hour!"

Dylan grinned "I'll be there."

Anna walked away and Brooke caught up with her, "Hey, are you spending time with Dylan?"

"Yeah, Reed is busy so I thought it might be nice to spend some time with him for a bit before taking him home."

"Hmm..." Brooke had a contemplative look.