Magical Glow

Chapter 8: Magical Glow

Living in a town like North Point was definitely interesting. While the town had its charms during the day, where it really shined - quite literally and figuratively - was at night where the lights all around town created this sort of beautiful kaleidoscope of colors and light all through the town, the soft blankets of snow creating a lovely contrast, that all gave it a peaceful, enthralling - and magical - feeling.

As Reed was taking a stroll through town, he was experiencing the light and magic of Christmas.

He saw a hot chocolate stand and decided to grab a warm drink to go with the snowy night. As he was waiting to get his drink, he glanced across the street and was pleasantly surprised - and very happy - to see Anna at her beloved spot; he smiled instantly. He couldn't get over how stunning she was. She truly glowed from the inside out, the way the lights sparkled around her. He was sure she was an angel - or some kind of enchantress!

He ordered another drink and made his way over. She didn't notice him until he sat next to her. "Mind if I join you?" He asked.

Her smile lit up the night. "Reed! Sure. What a surprise. What brings you here at this time?" Anna said as she smiled when he held out a cup of hot chocolate for her.

"Maybe fate." Reed said as his eyes met hers that had flickers of color shining from the light wrapped around the lampposts.

She took the hot chocolate from him.

He smiled as he reached into his pocket. "Or Good Luck! I found this coin the other day, " he said, happily, really feeling more lucky these days. He held the coin out to her.

As she took it to look it over, their fingers brushed, and it created a warm spark despite the chilly night. She inspected the coin in interest and smiled as she handed it back to him. "Nice!" She lifted her hot chocolate. "And thank you." Anna said appreciatively.

His eyes lit as he smiled, "My pleasure. So what are you working on?" He asked curiously.

Anna's face glowed with warmth, unsure about sharing her art, but decided to be brave and handed him her book with the painting she was working on top.

Reed placed his cup down on the other side of him and took it from her. Anna watched him in fascination, how his eyes had a slight twinkle as he seemed to be taking in every detail. After a minute, he finally looked up at her with a smile. "You're good! Is that us meeting at the library?" He asked, a slight excitement in his tone. He was amazed by how she saw that moment and chose to depict it, so beautifully, like it was in an alluring bubble capturing something deeper than just two people meeting at a library. Even the way she painted her library in a whimsical array of colors and details.

"It felt like a significant moment." Anna said but tried to play it off.

Reed started to open the book but looked to her to ask permission. Anna nodded, though butterflies flitted about at someone else seeing her artwork.

He opened it and looked through each of the paintings inside. There were a few of her beloved Town Square decorated for Christmas, some captured moments and interactions of townspeople, some of the beautiful shops around town, a few others of her library with one of Brooke holding a book. He laughed.

Brooke happened to be passing by when she noticed them. "Well, look who we have here. My favorite pair!" Brooke said, her tone filled with delight and amusement.

"Brooke, what are you doing here?" Anna asked, feeling a bit annoyed and flustered.

"Last time I checked, this was a public place. I happened to be walking by. I see you two are hanging out again." Brooke said in an insinuating tone.