All Set Up

Chapter 5: All Set Up

The next day at Town Square, Reed was sitting on a bench checking his watch when Anna arrived. "I was wondering if you were going to show."

"We said 9am, and it's 9am," Anna said back playfully.

"I was here 10 minutes early, and you were right on time," Reed observed.

"Never early, never late, just on time." Anna said.

Reed gave Anna a smile as if he knew that she would be.

Shortly, they arrived at St. Mark's Home for Boys and walked inside. When they walked to the front desk and inquired about Dylan informing them about the lost letter, they were instructed that Dylan was no longer there and had been transferred to a different home recently.

The Group Leader wrote down the name of the new place where Dylan was.

"That group home is for older boys on the other side of town. It must have been a while since he's written this letter, maybe a few years from the penmanship and style of writing."

Reed stared at her in fascination for a moment, then said, "Still willing to accompany me?"

"I'm invested now, so what do you think?" She teased.

He laughed, "Alright."

A while later, they arrived at St Peter's Home for Boys, and Reed took the lead as they approached the front.

"Hi, I'm Kate. How may I help you?" The woman asked.

"I am looking for a boy named Dylan. I work at the Post Office in the Lost Package Division, and I have a lost letter to return to him. Is he here?" Reed asked.

"We do have a boy named Dylan. Let me see if he is available," Kate said. Soon, Kate walked over with Dylan following behind. Anna couldn't shake the feeling that she'd seen him before. It was difficult to see his face from the baseball cap, but when she noticed his space shirt that he was wearing, she realized he was the same kid who came to the library every day. Skywalker.

Dylan and Reed shake hands and walk together away from everyone else. "Hi, I'm Reed, and I work at the lost letter and package unit at the Post Office. I found this letter that I think belongs to you." Reed said

Dylan took it in his hand, surprised to see the letter he'd written so long ago now. "The letter of me asking for a family? I wrote this 4 years ago." Dylan stated.

"How old are you?" Reed asked.

"I am 14 now." Dylan said.

"If you are still looking for a family, maybe I could help you." Reed said.

"I would love it if you could help me. I just assumed the letter got tossed.I never imagined anyone getting a hold of it." Dylan said.

"Well, I promise to try to see if I can help make your wish in this letter come true." Reed said.

Reed and Anna were walking back to Town Square and sat on a bench together. "You will never believe this, but Dylan is the kid that comes to the Library all the time. The one who I call Skywalker. Who you asked about a few days ago." Anna said.

Reed was dumbstruck. "Wow, I didn't even put it together that he was the same kid. I was so focused on the letter. What are the odds?" Reed said.

Anna looks at Reed, contemplating how much things were connected. "So, what are you going to do now?" Anna asked, a bit curious.

"I am going to try to help him. He needs a family, " Reed said.

"I think it's great that you want to help him, but how do you plan to do that?" Anna said.