A Snowy Proposition

Chapter 12: A Snowy Proposition

At the library, Anna was at work and couldn't keep the smile away as she helped patrons check out books, unable to stop thinking about the wonderful time she had with Reed talking all night.

How could he always make her feel so... safe and happy?

She placed her hand on her cheek, still able to feel the lingering touch from his kiss. The look in his eyes, his smile, his warm and perfect hug, she wanted to relive it all.

She needed to focus, so she decided to put some books away. Brooke noticed how much her friend was in positive spirits the whole day, so while she was on break and Anna was putting away some books in the kids' section, Brooke came over. "Look at you!" Brooke said, her tone joyful.

"What?" Anna said, trying to keep cool and not give anything away.

"You are glowing!" Brooke said in a playful voice.

"What? You are being ridiculous." Anna said, blushing.

Brooke beamed, "Oh my god, why don't you just admit that you like Reed!"

Anna's eyes grew, how loud Brooke was making her nervous and shushed her; Brooke laughed. "What, like these kids are going to tell?"

Anna blushed, realizing how silly that was, and that Brooke was right about her liking Reed.

"So...I take it things are going well? I saw your car at his place late last night." Brooke said, teasing Anna.

"Fine, I admit it. It's going well. Amazing actually, but what are you doing spying on me?" Anna said, annoyed.

Brooke shrugged, "He is my neighbor. Just happened to look through my window." She casually picked up a few books from the cart to help put them back.

"At midnight?" Anna said incredulously.

"Ok, I think it was like 9 when I saw your car there." Brooke said, then her eyes grew in realization of what Anna said; she dropped one of the books in her hand in shock. "Wait! Midnight?! Oh my God, you are totally in love with him!" Her excitement was practically bursting forth.

"I am not!" Anna replied, though more half-hearted than her usual response.

Brooke smiled, "Uh-huh, sure! Keep telling yourself that."

Anna held up a book to shield them from the kids nearby. "Can you keep a secret?" She whispered.

"Yes!" Brooke replied loudly, grinning.

"Shh!" She tried to keep her volume down but knew that was impossible for Brooke to do. "I think I do like him. A lot." Anna whispered, her face flaming with warmth at actually admitting that.

"Ahh! I knew it!" Brooke cheered with a beaming smile.

Anna smacked Brooke with the book she was holding. "I said Shhh! This is a library!" She scolded as she hit her with the book again before walking away, leaving Brooke to put her books away.

"Hey!" Brooke exclaimed. The kids saw the interaction and giggled. Brooke looked at them with a smile. "At least she finally admitted it!"

***************************************************************

Reed and Dylan arrived at the ballpark. Dylan noticed Reed looked happier than usual. While they were playing ball, Reed struck out badly. "Hello!!!! Are you on earth? or are you daydreaming about Anna?" Dylan asked jokingly, sure that had to be the reason for Reed's overly positive demeanor, even though he was losing terribly.