Encroachers

The trees on the side of the road passed by as I looked out of the rectangular side window. We were hours away from home, with no leads.

Julies voice broke the silence, "Do you guys remember when Maria went off on that guy at the bar?"

"Yeah! He deserved it. The guy was a creep." Connie replied acknowledging Julie's question.

They went on to elaborate on the story she brought up that lead into more stories from everyone else in the van reminiscing their times with Maria, good and bad.

I looked back out the window watching the beautiful scenery of the open field and skyline pass by, their voices making background noise as I thought to myself. There was something sinister about this trip. Something didn't feel right. I felt a twist in my stomach as I nibbled on my bottom lip anxiously. As much as I didn't want to admit it - and I definitely wouldn't out loud for the others to hear - but I'm losing hope. Of course I want Maria alive and safe, but my gut intuition has never failed me before.

The sounds of shared laughter filled the van as we cruised down the paved open road, nobody else in sight. Everyone enjoying the memories they told of their friendship with Maria. Though it was a good ride, fate had a different plan in store for us. The laughter turned into panic immediately as the van started to sway along the road. Leland fought his hardest maneuvering the vehicle to the side of the road, ensuring everyone's safety.

Realizing the situation, Connie tugged the side door open and stepped outside. I followed behind her with Julie and Sonny by my side. We met Ana and Leland at the side of the van. A collective sigh escaped everyone as we noticed the front tire deflated. Receiving a few cuss words from my friends, I folded my arms watching Leland crouch down to asses the damage.

"It was a nail. Shit" He pointed at the issue that caused the deflated tire before standing up and resting his hands on his hips.

"What are we gonna do?" Sonny queried from behind me. I stepped back allowing him to get a closer view and examine the situation.

"We're in the middle of nowhere!" Ana groaned in annoyance at their current problem. Her hands went up to her head wiping the sticky hair off her forehead from the Texas heat. Her hand fell to the side of her legs carelessly, causing a slapping sound.

I looked around at our surroundings, there was nothing in sight both ways. I felt Ana's frustration and knew we had to continue the journey one way or another.

"Why don't we just walk a little further and hopefully there's a house up ahead?" I suggest.

"It beats sitting here in the hot ass sun. We have to try." Leland agreed with my suggestion rubbing the side of Ana's arm as she was in his hold. With Ana's determination to find her older sister, she was convinced to continue.

Undeterred by the setback, we all decided to leave the van behind and embark on an impromptu adventure of our own.

With Leland, Ana and I leading the way, the two girls and Sonny followed behind.

"Hey look, a barn! Maybe we can find something over there" Julie called out making us look in the direction she was pointing. My eyes landing on a small shack deep in the field.

One after the other we decided to follow the leader. We abandoned the main road and went into the ditch carefully towards the field.

"Short cut" was all Leland said as he faced the tall sunflowers ahead of us. Shrugging, I followed him along with everyone else, pushing the tall stems out of the way to get a better look at where we were going. The dirt and grass underneath my feet consumed my footsteps with each step as I walked.