Hidden Secrets

It's the crack of dawn, the sky just beginning to blush with the promise of a new day. The air is crisp, carrying the sweet scent of dew-kissed grass. As the truck winds down the quiet country road, the tires humming softly against the pavement, a gentle rhythm accompanying the symphony of chirping birds. I sit in the passenger seat while Johnny carries us in comfortable silence. The sun bathing us in a soft golden light filtering through the trees. The world seems to hold it's breath in anticipation whenever we're on the road bringing a feeling of tranquility.

I extend my legs out in front of me, placing my heels on the dashboard and leaning back into my seat, crossing my ankles. I fiddled with the 3D combination puzzle in my lap as Johnny drove to pass time.

While Johnny guided the truck along the ribbon-like road, he noticed a small business up ahead, its silhouette a solitary figure against the backdrop of the waking countryside, and proceeded to pull into the parking lot. I rolled my eyes at The Rubik's cube in my hands, not figuring it out before I transfer my attention to the man next to me. With a gentle press of the brakes, he eased the truck to a stop, the engine purring softly as it settled into a stillness.

"I'll be right back." He said as he opened the drivers door, making his way out of the vehicle.

"Where are you going?" I asked curiously, watching him leave the comfort of the drivers seat behind, the sound of gravel crunching beneath his boots.

"I'm just going into the store, then I'm coming back. Don't even think 'bout running away." He threatened, pointing his finger at me before he shut the door.

I slouched in the passenger seat as my eyes followed him through the windshield, walking around the hood of the car and towards the front door of the variety store. I placed the Rubik's cube next to me as I folded my arms over my chest, the sound of a bell rang as he opened the door and disappeared behind the aisles. I let out a sigh as I turned my head towards the road.

Freedom... I could run away now.

My eyes shifting towards the keys still in the ignition as I felt a kick of adrenaline run through my veins from the possibilities. I glance back over to the store seeing him already at the front counter making the tingling feeling wash away. Like a blink of an eye, Johnny was already next to me in the truck again. He tossed whatever he purchased on the front dashboard before pulling out of the lot.

"What is that?" I question, turning my head to look at him.

"Why you asking?" He snapped, glancing over to me, our eyes locking for the first time this morning since last night. Butterflies forming in my stomach as I look away, embarrassed. The Rubik's cube finding it's way back into my hands as I distract myself from my own thoughts.

Our journey on the road ended as we arrived at Nancy's house moments later.

"Do what you did last time, help out around the house and you'll be fine." Johnny reminded me of my role here in his mother's habitation before he disappeared down the stairs. I stood in the kitchen area next to the stairs Johnny descended and scanned my eyes at the open living room, quickly studying which areas of the house that needed my cleaning skills desperately.

Turning my head to the left slightly, my eyes lock with the messy stove top and the pile of dirty dishes in the sink. I decide the kitchen is a good place to start as I make my way over to the sink, crouching while I open the cabinets. A variety of different brands of cleaning products stare back at me. I scan over the product's name on each bottle before choosing the appropriate ones for kitchen needs.

I spray the stove top with the cleaning product and begin scrubbing, removing all the lingering grease and food residue. Satisfied when the stove's original color rose from underneath the grim and filth, I then moved onto the counter tops spraying the surface with disinfectant and wiping them down.