christmas ball// tyler

you sat before a crackling fire in the empty tavern, gazing through the window at the snow falling onto the roofs of the shops that lined the road outside. you had just closed up the tavern after a few stragglers had finished their drinks, leaving only you and your friend tyler to sit and enjoy the warmth without having to tend to anyone else.

tyler didn't exactly work with you, but sometimes when he occasionally stopped by with deliveries of food, he would come behind the counter and help you out. he always brought all of the resources for free, and you were to give them to those who were poor and couldn't afford to buy themselves a meal everyday. you had offered to pay him whenever he helped you work, but he refused any money. he'd claimed that he had enough, and he enjoyed coming by and working with you anyway.

he had helped you out tonight, which was why the both of you had decided to finally take a break and bask in the warmth of the tavern before stepping out into the freezing cold to head  your separate ways. besides, you enjoyed spending time with him, but you definitely weren't going to admit that to him.

in fact, you tried to hide any signs that you admired him at all. sometimes you found yourself staring and had to quickly avert your gaze. you didn't know if he was in a relationship, since he seemed to be very private about his life, and you didn't want to make a fool of yourself just in case he was. he was hanging out with you alone, though, so maybe that was a good indication that he was single.

"i can't believe it's almost christmas," you muttered, filling the silence.

"i know. it's crazy," he replied, and then paused. "do you work tomorrow?"

tomorrow was christmas eve. usually, that was a good day for business because people seemed to enjoy coming in late for a drink with their friends or family. it was frustrating having to work all night, but it brought money in, so it was necessary.

"yeah," you told him. "why do you ask?"

he hesitated before answering. "i'm going to the ball tomorrow. i can bring a guest. i wanted to know if you'd like to come." he was smiling, and you could tell he was a bit nervous asking.

"how did you get tickets to that?" you asked incredulously. the royal family hosted the christmas ball every christmas eve, inviting all of the noble people and their families, with some invitations going out to the common people. it was rare to get one, though, as there weren't enough for everyone in the village, so you were shocked tyler had gotten one.

"my family has ties with the royal family. i go every year," was all he said. "so, will you come?"

you frowned. "i'd love to, but... i don't think i can get anyone to cover for me this short notice. and i can't afford closing it early," you explained disappointedly to him. you really did want to go. you've always dreamed of what it would be like to go to the palace, to attend a ball there with the royal family in attendance. you imagined it being extraordinary, something out of a fairytale.

"i can get someone to cover for you."

"what? how?" you questioned. "it can't just be anyone, they have to know how to do the job."

"done. you're covered for the night," he stated, no hint of playfulness on his face. he was serious, and you were completely baffled. you didn't understand how it could be possible for him to get someone to agree to work the night for you without even asking around first.

"i don't know about this. we need to really make sure this person can come in first before i decide to go with you."

"trust me," he said, his voice soft. "i got it covered. i mean it. you have nothing to worry about." the way he said it made it difficult for you not to believe him.