Chapter 9 - Weigh In

Phil's POV

It was Saturday, I knew. Maybe Dan would come early. Beth came in earlier than usual. "I thought you might be up," she greeted.

"Yeah, weird."

"No, it isn't. That's what happens when you eat. You have the energy to do more."

I didn't love the way people always brought up energy. It isn't like I did anything that required much energy anyway.

"Hungry?"

The truth was that I was always hungry. I just didn't want to fill it.

"For me?" his voice echoed in my mind. If he would return like he said he would, Dan would be happy to know if I ate something. "Um," I said. "Sure. Something small. Just a little. Fat free?"

Beth's mouth opened with a smile. "Absolutely! Anything particular?"

"No, just something."

"Alright, I'll tell the chef!" she ran out happily.

About a half hour later, Dan arrived. "Hey, Phil. How are you?"

"Great," I answered.

Beth came in at the same time Dan did, a tray in her hand. "Hello, Dan. I was bringing Phil his breakfast. Can I get you something?"

"Breakfast?" he asked. "Did you ask for breakfast?"

I nodded, hoping he'd be happy.

"Phil, that's awesome! No thanks, Beth."

"No problem," she said, placing the tray on the table. "Let me know if either of you need anything, ok?"

"Sure." 

Beth left with a skip in her step, seeming to enjoy it as much as Dan. They were... happy for me.

"What'd you get for breakfast?" Dan asked enthusiastically.

It was a bowl of cereal and milk, with fruit on the side, and my nutrition pills. I inhaled roughly through gritted teeth, and tried to smile. My stomach turned unhappily. I felt sick. My stomach was too small to hold all this.

"Phil, are you ok?"

"Yeah," I told him. "Great."

"You don't seem ok."

"I am, really."

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing." I picked up the spoon and attempted to eat, trying to show him I could do it. I forced it in my mouth and down my throat. It fell like a rock to my stomach. My stomach gagged. I began to cough.

"Phil?" Dan said concerned. He came around and put his hand on my back, rubbing small circles. "Are you ok? Calm down."

I felt ready to throw up. By instinct, my hand covered my mouth, ready to go down my throat.

"Don't push yourself," Dan warned. "It's ok, you don't have to force yourself. If you can't eat, don't. I told you, eat slowly."

I pushed the tray away from me and tried to catch my breath. "I'm sorry," I choked. "I've eaten so much the pasts few days... my stomach can't take it."

"Phil, it's fine. Relax."

I laid my head on the table, a bit upset with myself. I sighed. I knew I had eaten too much. I looked up for a second and found my pills, taking them with the water roughly. Dan was quiet. "I hate when that happens."

"It's ok," he said kindly.

"My body just..."

"Phil," he said, "don't be upset. It's no big deal. If you cant, you cant. You'll be ok."