Chapter 3

Heyy guys, here's the new chapter. Some of Erin's past is explained in this chapter. Leave a comment or vote if you like it. ;)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 3

Adrian was already at the schoolyard by the time I arrived. I strolled to him. “Ready to go?”

He gave me a nod and started to walk. I followed behind, not knowing where he parked his car.

Hmm I wonder what kind of car he has. He's rich so he definitely can afford one of those sexy as hell yet expensive cars. But then again, I can't really imagine him riding one of those. His personality and appearance...  ugh did he even come to school with a car? Maybe one of his servants drove him with a limousine?

“Where are we going?” He asked, suddenly stopped in front of a royal blue bicycle. “I can give us a ride there.”

I stared at his bike then back at him. “With that?”

"Yeah." He replied with a tone I can't identify.

“Oh.”

“Were you expecting to ride in a fancy car?

"Erm, kind of. I thought since you’re rich...”

“Stop assuming things.” He snapped at me.

I flinched. I really didn’t expect him that from him. He, who is always quiet and submissive. His sudden anger really surprised me. Does he have some kind of problem with fancy cars?

“Sorry. It's just that I hate it when people always categorize me to be rich.” He quickly apologized. “It sucks to be rich sometimes.”

I gave a small laugh. I don’t think I’ll ever understand what he meant by that.

I only have my aunt now. She’s the one that works and earn money to support the two of us. Being a journalist really doesn’t pay a ton.

“Why’s that?” I asked out of curiosity.

He swung one leg over his bike. Looking into my eyes, he answered “Because people use you when they know you’re rich. They’ll get close to you, use your trust to get what they want, and once they’re done, they’ll leave you without a care of how much damage they have caused.”

A familiar pain shot through me. Betrayal... So he has also been betrayed by his friends before? He’s just like me. Hurt and lost.

“I understand how you feel,” I tried to comfort him, knowing how much pain he must have carried to be betrayed by his trusted ones. “but not everyone is like that. There are people out that you can trust. They won’t use you to gain benefits. They can be true friends.

"How would you understand? Your not rich. What's there about you that people can use?"

His words made me felt like I've just been slapped on the face. Anger starts to boil in me. How dare he assume I won't understand? I know perfectly well what it's like to be betrayed.

"Of course I would understand! I went through the same thing as you.”

There was a pause.

“Does your disguise as a nerd have anything to do with your past?" His question shocked me. I didn't expect him to ask me that. "I saw what you really look like when we ran into each other at the library. You would fit in perfectly with the jocks and those girls. It confuses me as to why someone like you would rather dress up as a nerd and be invisible rather than be at the top of the social ladder.”