Chapter 25

It had been a year since Hagoromo had sent his sons on a journey and so far only Indra had returned. There was no sign of Ashura, which led some to believe that he had failed and would not return out of fear. However, Hagoromo was sure that his younger son would show up soon. He knew him well enough and knew that he was waiting for Indra to become the chief. However, his plan would backfire, which is why Hagoromo was slightly amused.

It was also now official that Amaya was together with Indra. It had been clear to some for a long time, but to make sure that everyone knew, Indra had revealed this information and threatened anyone who came near her.

Even during training, the tension was high. Because many were afraid to fight Amaya to avoid having to touch her. Indra's eyes were everywhere and no one wanted to feel his wrath.

"Here comes Ashura!" shouted a girl who had just returned from the fields, causing Amaya to look at the path that would lead to the estate. She would recognize this boy anywhere.

The closer Ashura got, the happier he became. He had grown and become stronger over the past year. Nevertheless, he let Indra take the lead and smiled at him. "Good to see you, brother."

Indra just nodded and his younger brother looked at him happily. "What's it like to be the chief?" he asked. "Father has been waiting for you." Indra said, causing Ashura to swallow. What, his plan hadn't worked?

"It's nice that you've come back too. Even if it took you longer." Hagoromo, who had intervened, smiled. "I'd like to have a chat with you."

Less than five minutes later, the brothers were sitting in front of their father, with Amaya sitting diagonally behind Indra. She had not suspected that Hagoromo would make up his mind here and now. Inwardly, she was already begging to hear the name of her boyfriend, who was the calmest of all.

"You have both solved and mastered the task. I figured you had your own way of doing it. However, I recently heard the report about you, which is why my decision was made more quickly." Hagoromo explained calmly and looked at his sons. "From the reports and also because of your ability, you, Ashura will take my place."

"Yeah, wait, what?! But I don't want to be chief! I'll let Indra go first!" Ashura immediately exclaimed and Amaya literally stared at Indra, whose anger was plain to see. "Why him father?! I solved the task faster!"

"It wasn't just about speed, Indra. Even if you solved your task, it quickly led to war. The inhabitants started to hate each other. Ashura, on the other hand, is at peace. They worked together on this village and took everything to heart."

Amaya swallowed slightly. Even though she loved Indra, she could understand Hagoromo's decision. While Indra took the path of power and hatred, Ashura took the path of love and peace. Just as Hagoromo had long wished, he would want more peace.

But Amaya also knew that Indra would never accept this decision.