20| A Past Reminder

*************

*************

Seonghwa took a week off from work. It was always around this time of year when he did. Near the end of winter, when spring was nearing and things were reviving to life slowly but surely. It was beautiful, but somehow Seonghwa hated this time of year. The date in particular, 17th March, it was a day of helplessness for him.

He opened the last drawer of his bedside table and pulled out an old photo. It made his heart ache but a small smile still appeared. A bittersweet memory. He let his fingertips wander over the woman's face, she was beautiful with warm brown eyes and a sweet smile. Like a different gender mirror image of Seonghwa. But he was there too, in the picture, except much younger with his mother's arms around him in a hug.

Park Chohee.

It was that day, a sunny Saturday, the last day he had with his mother before he never saw her again. She took him to a secluded place, where a lavender field resided and they had a picnic. Just the two of them. It was a vivid memory, the happiest memory he had of her until hours later when it turned into the saddest.

Seonghwa sighed before putting the photo back and closing the drawer. He stood up and walked out of his room.

Today was the anniversary of his mother's death.

On the kitchen counter sat a bouquet of wildflowers, he liked to think it perfectly resembled Park Chohee. Her free and untamed spirit that no one could change or break. He went over and picked them up before taking his keys and phone from the coffee table.

As he stepped out of his apartment, closing and locking the door he was thankful when he didn't see San or Wooyoung. Relieved that he didn't bump into them today of all days while his head was in its current state. 

He wasn't in the mood for anyone, no matter who they were. 

Which was the very reason Yeosang and Yunho weren't by his side right now. They knew better and Seonghwa was grateful for that. Glad that he had the friends he did, whether it was his best friends or just his close friends. They all knew him well enough and knew to rather ignore his existence until he found his way back to them on his own.

Seonghwa got into his car and carefully set the wildflowers down on the passenger seat next to him. He then slotted the key and started up the engine. The drive to where he was headed took a while seeing as how he had left Seoul completely.

He took a few turns before arriving in Sacheon around three hours later, the place where his mother was born and also happened to be where she died and was buried. The closest cemetery ten minutes into the city was where she was. Seonghwa knew the route all too well that it had become sickening over the years.