7. Cathy's exam

Dante heard the sound of many footsteps echoing through the house. He glanced towards the window. It seemed to be the middle of the night. The first thing that crossed his mind was that there might be a fire. However, he didn't smell anything in the air. Karl slept soundly beside him.

"Brother, brother" little Vale shook his older brother until he woke up.

"What's wrong, Dante? It's the middle of the night" he replied drowsily.

"Someone is walking around the house" he whispered, terrified.

"You're overstating..." at that moment, two people in suits burst into Vales' room. "... things" he finished quietly.

The young Vale stepped energetically in front of them, shielding Dante behind him.

"Still not satisfied? What brings you here this time?" he asked.

Suddenly, they heard the agonizing scream of brothers' mother, followed by their father's voice.

"It was supposed to be much easier, yet we keep encountering obstacles." one of suits said to the other one.

"Deaththorns!" Karl slammed his hands onto the floor. Purple beams of energy emerged beneath the suits and enveloped them. After a moment, black spikes revealed themselves along their entire length, piercing through Organisation seekers' clothes and skin.

Organization members realized after a moment that they were in danger. With each passing second, they felt the effects of the poison contained in those spikes more intensely. One by one, they collapsed to the ground.

"I've never expected myself to use that power. I had no choice" Karl whispered to himself, clenching his fists.

More agents arrived, along with Arnetta.

"I see you've become cruel, big brother." she taunted.

She kicked one of the agents and entered the room. 

"Maybe you'll join us?" she asked mockingly.

"Unlike you, I wouldn't be able to harm any member of our family." Karl responded, with a hint of resentment.

Dante stood beside Karl.

"Arnie, why are you doing it to us? Aren't we family anymore? Aren't we your brothers?" the young Vale asked sadly.

"Dante, step aside. I wouldn't want this lunatic to harm you." man said, glancing towards his little brother.

"Well, actually, it's not a bad idea. Double spell: Death Arrow!" the girl muttered as she cast a navy blue spell shaped like an arrow from both her hands, striking both brothers simultaneously.

Dante suddenly got up from his bed and grabbed the spot where he was shot by his sister. He ran his hands over his face to revive. Unfortunately, it was a nightmare. It had plagued him before, but with a different ending.

"I can't remember the last time I dreamed about it. Maybe it was when Metz was affected by the Behemoth's curse?" he thought and lay back down.

He put his hands behind his head and gazed out the window.

"Beautiful Summer." he sighed quietly. "It's time to visit someone." Vale got up from the bed.

When he went downstairs, he found only Cherit there.

"Hello, Dante." titan greeted cheerfully.

"Hi, Cherit." he replied indifferently.

"What's wrong?" he flew up to his friend.