23. A message

Grier stood on the observation tower, gazing down at the city. He recalled his conversation with the woman from the Death Spiral.

"Our people? I'm sorry, but I think you're going too far." the man said.

"I know your people are seekers. Think about it. You'll be the only inhabited island after the Nullifiers arrive. Isn't that a fair payment?" she asked, playing with a lock of her auburn hair.

The king was stunned. He didn't know what to say. On one hand, why had the Death Spiral come to his island precisely? On the other, what this woman was proposing sounded tempting. However, it didn't change the fact that Grier didn't really trust the people from the Spiral.

"What's the chance you won't come back to finish us off?" he asked.

"Quite high. Trust me." she replied. "I know you have some talented cuties on this island. I'll be back in exactly a month. I expect you'll agree to this deal. I wouldn't want to kill those handsome guys. And especially not you, sweetie." the woman blew him a kiss in the air.

She left the room. King Sutos was left alone.

He crossed his arms on the wooden barrier.

"If I refuse, the inhabitants will be harmed. If they don't die of hunger first. If I agree, I might lose my best people, but the inhabitants won't starve." he thought quietly.

He had a lot of time to think, but he eventually had to make a decision. He stared at two of his residents, who were strolling carefree between the buildings. Grier straightened up and clenched his fists.

"Make or break." he declared.

He went downstairs and called his best guards. They all stood in a line.

"Is something wrong, my king?" one of the men asked.

***

The seekers spotted a building on the other side of the land. It was a beautiful wooden temple which was hidden in the big forest. The team were walking single file across a stone bridge.

"What is sacred is hidden within nature, which shapes itself at its own pace." Lok quoted.

"Mother Nature herself shaped this temple to guard the amulet with the legendary titan. It's an incredible sight." Sophie said.

Suddenly, the seekers were surrounded. The enemy unit had anticipated them. The members of the Death Spiral knew what they were doing. They came prepared with their titans.

For Lok's team, there wasn't enough free space to summon enough titans to balance the forces. Eventually, Lambert ordered them to summon their allies that could fly. Sophie summoned Sorcerel and the leader summoned Dendras. Harrison decided to summon Jericho. The seekers split and leapt to opposite sides of the bridge with hyperstride.

The confrontation between the groups began. At first, it seemed that the Spiral had a decisive advantage. However, their titans quickly returned to their amulets. One of the enemy hunters tried to attack Harrison with Augerfrost from behind, but Malia shielded him with a Armorbrand just in time.

"Thanks." he said.

"No problem" she replied with a smile.

They separated and moved to their chosen opponents.

Sophie was dealing with a group of Spiral members, who had a gleam in their eyes, eager to take her life. Both Casterwill and her titan showed great prudence and fluidity in their movements to avoid making mistakes in the battle. Nearby, Den and Cathy were dueling another group of people in black-and-white clothing. Cathy decided to summon Lunar and Solar, and Den summoned Arawn the Hunter to assist Sophie and end this charade more quickly.