Chapter 4 ✔️

Emma Smith

I could hear footsteps behind me as I ran, desperate to escape from my mate and everyone else present. The leaves crunched beneath my paws, and the cool air stung my lungs as I pushed myself harder. I sniffed the air and immediately recognized Ashton's scent. He was following me, gaining ground.

That was not what I wanted. I needed to be alone, to keep my distance from him. The last thing I wanted was for him to catch up and reject me. I wanted to hold on to the fact that I had found my soulmate, to cherish that fleeting moment of discovery. I didn't want to become mateless the instant I found him.

My wolf was making it difficult for me to run faster. She was resisting, her instinct pulling us back toward our mate. Her mournful howls echoed in my mind, a painful reminder of the bond we shared with Ashton. But Ashton, being the future alpha, was much faster than I was. He was already closing in, ready to catch me at any moment. I had to push myself harder, to fight against the pain and my wolf's longing.

"Mate. I need my mate," my wolf whimpered in my head, her voice trembling with urgency and yearning.

"I can't. We can't. We have to leave. He's going to reject us anyway," I tried to reason with her, fear tightening around my heart like a vice.

But my wolf wasn't convinced. Her determination was fierce, unwavering. "No. He is our mate. He will love us," she insisted, her faith in the bond unshakeable despite my growing doubt.

I heard a powerful howl from behind, signaling that Ashton was getting closer. Panic surged through me, knowing I was running out of time.

"Please help me. By the way, what's your name? We didn't even get a chance to introduce ourselves," I pleaded, desperation coloring my thoughts.

"And who is to blame for that?" my wolf replied with a mix of challenge and teasing in her tone. "My name is Bella," she added, a playful spark in her voice despite the seriousness of our situation.

It was too late to convince Bella otherwise. Ashton burst past me in a blur of speed, then skidded to a stop and turned to face me. In one swift move, he leaped onto my back, pinning me down beneath his weight.

I refused to go down without a fight. I bucked and kicked, trying to throw him off. But he was strong-so much stronger than me. As the future alpha, he held a power and strength that I couldn't match. Despite my status as the beta's daughter, his strength was on another level entirely.

What surprised me was that Ashton wasn't hurting me. He was careful, avoiding my flailing legs rather than using his strength to overpower me completely. Even as I kicked like a horse, trying to dislodge him, he remained gentle, focused more on restraining me than causing harm. His restraint reminded me that he was still my best friend first, and my mate second.

I knew I couldn't hurt him, even if he weren't my mate. But the mate bond made it even more impossible. Our wolves were drawn to each other, but the human part of me feared what was to come.

"Mate won't reject us," Bella whispered, her voice filled with hope.

"He will," I argued, my heart sinking. "You don't know him like I do. He will reject us. I know he will."

I kept pushing and kicking, but Ashton wouldn't budge. Eventually, exhaustion set in, and I stopped struggling. I looked up into his eyes, seeing a storm of emotions-confusion, concern, something deeper that I couldn't quite name.