Chapter 21 ✔️

Emma Smith

It is remarkable how Ashton addressed Henry's concerns about me. I have never witnessed him being so fiercely protective, almost as if he were on the brink of transforming into his wolf. It was like he couldn't stand the idea of anyone else getting too close to me, and that protective side of him made my heart swell with emotions I couldn't quite control.

I understand that I shouldn't find joy in his jealousy, but seeing him so consumed by it, nearly losing control, brings me a sense of warmth. It's as if, in those moments, he's not just acting on his wolf instincts; there's something deeper there. When Ashton indirectly claimed that I was his-through his intense body language and the way he positioned himself between me and Henry-it felt like more than just a claim from his wolf, Lucas. It was Ashton himself, the man I've known all my life, stepping up to say he doesn't want to lose me.

These feelings that have resurfaced for Ashton are so confusing yet exhilarating. My memories of being Elizabeth and loving Christopher are so vivid, and those emotions have merged with my own, making me realize that I am deeply in love with Ashton. I've always cherished him as my best friend, but now it's more than that. It's a love that's grown from lifetimes, binding us together in ways I can't fully comprehend.

But even with this newfound love, there's a part of me that's afraid. I want to tell Ashton how I feel, to let him know that I love him not just because of our past but because of who he is right now. But what if he doesn't feel the same way? What if his actions are driven more by his wolf's protective instincts than by love? I worry that confessing my feelings could jeopardize the delicate balance of our relationship, especially now when we're finally starting to understand each other in this new light.

The fear of losing what we have, the friendship and bond that's been the foundation of my life, keeps me silent. I don't want to push him away or make him feel overwhelmed. I want to savor the moments we share, the way he looks at me now, different from before. Even if it's just a glimpse of what could be, it's enough for now. I'll wait for the right moment, for when I'm sure he's ready, and when I can no longer hold back the love that's been growing inside me for centuries.

For now, I'll cherish the special bond we have and hope that, in time, he'll come to feel the same way. Until then, I'll stay by his side, grateful for every second of this lifetime we get to share.

***

Ashton and I were the only ones left in the city now, after my father had departed for the pack house. Mr. Hudson had suggested that I return home as well, but I was resolute in finishing my notice period and continuing to work. I owed so much to Mr. Hudson for his assistance that I couldn't simply leave without finding a replacement for myself. After much persuasion, he reluctantly agreed to let me stay for just 15 more days.

He assured me that he would either find someone new or have Henry temporarily take over my position. However, he insisted that I go back to my family, from whom I had been separated for three long years due to my own foolish decisions. It was shocking to hear Ashton and my father team up and inform Mr. Hudson and Henry that I had left home because I wanted to get married. The absurdity of their claim still sends shivers down my spine.

The flashback begins on the day when Mr. Hudson and Henry came to visit Emma in her apartment.

When Mr. Hudson inquired about why I had been away from home for three years, I felt nervous about what my father and Ashton would disclose. As I sat there anxiously, my hands fidgeted in my lap. A mischievous look passed between Ashton and my father, hinting that something embarrassing was about to be revealed. It was evident from the weight of their gazes on me, their eyes gleaming with a mix of amusement and anticipation.