Chapter 28 ✔️

Emma Smith

It was finally my last day of work in New York, and the last day of my time there. A bittersweet feeling washed over me as I prepared to leave. Today marked the end of my job at the library, where I had spent the past three years. It had become a second home to me. The thought of saying goodbye to my friends and my boss, Mr. Hudson, who had become like a father figure to me, filled me with sadness.

I was also extremely happy to return to my pack and start a new life with my mate by my side. In our group chat, Henry and Stacy mentioned that they were organizing a farewell party for me and had even invited Ashton. I felt a little nervous about telling Ashton, recalling his reaction the last time Henry and Mr. Hudson visited me after my return from Alpha Aiden's pack hospital. Although I was thrilled to see Ashton's jealousy and possessiveness towards me, I didn't want Henry and Ashton to part ways on a sour note.

That morning, I had casually asked Ashton to accompany me to the library, not revealing the full reason why. As we walked hand-in-hand along the familiar streets, I could feel Ashton's curious gaze on me. He probably wondered why I wanted him to come along today of all days. I decided to let him in on the secret.

"By the way, there's a small farewell party at the library for me," I said, trying to sound nonchalant, but a hint of excitement slipped through. "Henry and Stacy organized it, and they invited you too."

Ashton arched an eyebrow, a smirk playing on his lips. "Henry, huh? Should I be worried?" He tried to keep his tone light, but I could sense a hint of possessiveness creeping in.

I rolled my eyes and nudged him playfully. "Oh, please, Mr. Alpha. Don't go marking your territory all over the library. Besides, it's just a friendly farewell."

He chuckled but then his smile faded slightly. "Friendly? You mean like how Henry proposed to you a few days ago?"

I stopped in my tracks, surprised by his calm yet teasing tone. "How did you-?"

Ashton grinned, looking far too pleased with himself. "I have my ways, Emy. But don't worry; I'm not mad. Just... slightly amused. And maybe a bit jealous."

I laughed, appreciating his honesty. "He did propose, but I told him I couldn't accept. He's moving on, and I'm happy for him."

"Good," Ashton replied with a mock sigh of relief. "Because I was about to challenge him to a duel. And we both know how bad my aim is with a slingshot."

I burst out laughing. "Oh, please, like you'd need a slingshot. You've got those charming dimples that can make anyone swoon."

He gave me a lopsided grin. "Yeah, but I save those for you, Emy. Only you."

As we walked into the library, our fingers intertwined, we were greeted with a chorus of cheers and applause. The room was decorated with twinkling fairy lights, colorful streamers, and an array of balloons, creating a cozy and inviting atmosphere. Stacy hurried over to me, giving me a warm hug and whispering, "We're going to miss you, Emma." She then turned her attention to Ashton, teasing him in a playful manner that caused him to blush and look flustered for the first time in my presence. It was a surprising sight, considering he had always effortlessly charmed other girls since Emily had broken his heart. Despite the unexpected reaction, I found his embarrassment endearing, knowing he was reacting that way because of my feelings. His consideration for my feelings and response to Stacy's playful advances only deepened my love for him.