Chapter 1

Chapter 1:

It was a normal day at Cambridge University, as usual, with the red bricks and the quaint English-style buildings. Fall had begun, and the leaves were changing colors on the streets of Cambridge, England, casting a beautiful red and gold hue across the area.

In a small lab, Harper Thatcher was hard at work on a small device, sticking her tongue out in concentration as she screwed some screws in. It was just another typical day for the young girl, but it was always fascinating watching her work.

The young redhead was focused on her work, completely oblivious to the sound of the door to her lab opening. It was quite a surprise when her best friend, Tilly Pridemore, walked in with a few books in her arms.

As Tilly dropped the books on the table in front of Harper, the young redhead jumped in surprise and looked up at Tilly with furrowed eyebrows, feeling frustrated that she had interrupted her work.

"Did you watch the new Jujutsu Kaisen episode last night?" asked Tilly with a wicked grin.

Tilly Pridemore, Harper's best friend, is obsessed with the anime Jujutsu Kaisen. Harper also enjoys the anime, but not nearly as much as Tilly.

Tilly goes on and on for days, talking about her crushes on the characters Mahito and Sukuna. She even has a pillow with their faces on it, and it makes Harper laugh.

Even though Harper finds them attractive, she's always preferred Choso overall. She can't resist his cool, mysterious vibe.

Harper looked up at the short-haired, brown-haired girl into her hazel eyes and nodded. "You know I watched it.

Tilly jumped over to her shelves of chemical liquids and excitedly said, "If only I could get a taste of Mahito. I would let him do so many things to me." She giggled with hearts in her eyes.

Harper chuckled lightly and went back to her device. "I know you would, Tilly," Harper replied.

The door to the lab opened again, and in walked Jonathan Highbottom. He was a tall, lanky man with brown hair and brown eyes and a full beard.

"Hey, there, ladies." He said it in a monotone voice, looking over at Harper and Tilly.

Harper rolled her eyes over at Jonathan. He had been trying to get her to go out with him for three months, and he was annoying.

"What are you working on there?" He said it confidently, throwing his arm over her shoulders.

She scrunched her nose up at him and said, "A device," before going back to her work.

Jonathan pressed closer to Harper and said, "When are you going to finally give in and go out with me?"

"Never," Harper replied firmly and threw his arm off of her.

Tilly, still pouring different liquids into different vials while watching the encounter, made sure she wasn't needed to step in. She continued to watch while they interacted with tension in the air.

Johnathan scoffed and walked over to a whiteboard and began writing something on it. Tilly walked over to Harper and said, "You know, I can still kick his eyes ass for you if you like. Gauge his eyes out so he will leave you alone."

Harper giggled in response and said, "It's okay, Til. I can handle him."

Tilly also giggled in response, always thinking of violence and chaos in response to everything.

Tilly was curious and asked, "So, explain this device again?"

Harper continued to go over her work as she replied, "It is a device that will hopefully help see a glimpse of other realities."